Thursday, July 19, 2007

Think Victory! Letting Your Spiritual Instinct Take Over

LETTING YOUR SPIRITUAL INSTINCT TAKE OVER

"For if these qualities are yours and increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:8)

I love these reminders from the Lord about living in victory! This devotional this morning was timely and powerful:

"A Christian has an instinctive push towards righteousness because of his new nature. Just as his OLD nature drives him to temptation and wrong, so his new nature moves him toward goodness. I think evangelical Christians tend to give the OLD NATURE too much attention and room; they seem to EXPECT to sin and fall, and keep on doing so. But we should also expect to SUCCEED and be VICTORIOUS over sin because that is the bent of the new man.

God's sees is in us (1 John 3:9). Seed means GROWTH and expression, and God's expression is always holy. I am sure many believers stumble and fall, and yet 'better things' that 'accompany salvation (Hebrews 6:9) are expected of us. The beautiful and yearned for 'fruit of the Spirit'
(Galatians 5:22) is set in exact contrast to the 'fruit of the flesh'; yet both are instinctive and, if given a chance, will abound in us. Which fruit will it be? Paul says that God 'began a good work' in us He will keep bringing it to maturity in us until the day of Christ (Philippians 1:6). There is a determinism in the new man that is difficult to deny!

As any gardener knows, fresh seeds dropped into the ground must be given a chance. Weeds must be removed, the grounds must be prepared, and sufficient moisture and sun must be applied. Do that for the new man, the Bible cries out, and see what will happen! The fruit of the new nature, says Peter, are many and attractive (2 Peter 1:1-9). But we have to make them 'abound,' that is, allow them to MULTIPLY in us. If we let them SHRIVEL or 'lack' we are blind and forgetful.

In short, I have all the equipment I need for a triumphant, godly, fruitful life. That is God's part. My part is to make room for it, clear the rubbish away, and let the spiritual instinct take over from there!" from DAILY WITH THE KING (Moody Press)

Good word for today! I trust that today you will not only THINK VICTORY! But live it!

Great quote: Lord Jesus, failure and disappointment sometimes lead me to despair. I hide behind my pride and self-pity, withdrawing from you and others. Give me the hope I need and help me never to be afraid to begin again. Anonymous

No comments: