Thursday, June 07, 2007

Think Victory! Discouragement

Discouragement

"In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God for my help; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry for help before Him came into His ears." Psalm 18:6

Everyone one of us faces it from time to time. Discouragement can be crippling if we don't see it from God's perspective. Here's what I read this morning that helped put discouragement in a proper perspective:

"I must be ever alert to the feeling of discouragement, which is sin. Discouragement says, 'I refuse to accept God's plan for my life.' Discouragement always comes when our expectations are confused. Discouragement is the result of not letting God alone. It is a tragedy that I accept Jesus as my 'Lord' and then grow discouraged because He frustrates my expectations. If Jesus is my Lord, then Romans 8:28 must always be my textbook. It is impossible to have one without the other.

I must reckon with the CAUSES of discouragement and see them in their proper perspective. Am I criticized by others? Let me rejoice! Do I not realize that God uses diamonds to sharpen diamonds?

Am I suffering lack of success? Don't I realize that success is the result of God's careful timing, not mine? And don't I realize that if I am faithful where God puts me, success is inevitable?

Am I discouraged because the way is hard and painful? If so, I must realize that God is preparing plowed ground to yield fruit a hundredfold. God will never give me a hard way without a 'nevertheless afterward" (Hebrews 12:11) When I am in difficulty I must pray, 'Lord, give me patience to wait for Your 'afterward.'"

Am I harassed by Satan, and are his whisperings getting to me? I must remember his history: everyone who ever listened to him suffered horrible defeat.

I will honor God by my trust; I will please Him, affirming: 'All things work together for good' (Romans 8:28). I believe that God will 'go before me [there goes that verse again!] (Deut. 31:8) and will level the mountains ... and give me the treasures of darkness.' (Isaiah 45:2-3) (From Daily With the King-Moody Press)

Are you facing a time of discouragement? I pray that these thoughts today will bring you encouragement and help change your perspective. I want you to know today that Jesus loves you and so do I!

Great quote: Prayer is simple, prayer is supernatural, and to anyone not related to our Lord Jesus Christ, prayer is apt to look stupid.



Oswald Chambers

No comments: