Monday, August 07, 2006

LOVE 'EM OR LIKE THEM

LOVE 'EM OR LIKE THEM

A number of weeks ago, I asked one of our staff members to step out of their comfort zone and doing something that would stretch them. They looked at me and said, "Right now I don't like you!" They were joking (I think ...) and I responded ... "You don't HAVE to like me -- but you gotta love me."

Our Director of Human Resources shared this quote with me in an email this morning: "God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to know the difference." I love it.
Jesus reminded the disciples several nights before his death, that the way the world would know that they were his was not because of all the wonderful miracles they would do. It wasn't about their eloquence or their ability to accomplish great things. The benchmark that would demonstrate that they belonged to Him was this: "by this all men will know your are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35
What does that kind of love look like? Paul gave us a pretty thorough description in the love chapter -- I Corinthians 13:4-7:

Love is patient.
Love is kind.
Love is never jealous or envious.
Love is never boastful or proud.
Love is never haughty, selfish or rude.
Love does not demand its own way.
Love is not irritable or touchy.
Love does not hold grudges.
Love will hardly even notice when others do it wrong.
Love is never glad about injustice.
Love rejoices when the truth wins out.
If you love someone you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost.
If you love someone you will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.

So how are your doing today in this area of your life? Good question to think about today.
We all have friends and love ones who experience grief and hurt. This week on KESWICK TODAY we will talk with author, speaker and KESWICK counselor-in-residence, Marilyn Heavilin about grief and how to handle it. Marilyn is the author of ROSES IN DECEMBER and shares what God taught her through the pain of losing three children. You can listen to the broadcasts right from our website: www.americaskeswick.org.

No comments: