Saturday, June 24, 2006

HOW TO HANDLE ADVERSITY

HOW TO HANDLE ADVERSITY

If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small. Proverbs 24:10

Freedom fighting isn't for the faint of heart. Every day won't be a good day, and some days you'll wonder if fighting is worth the effort. You'll get discouraged. Some days you'll feel defeated. When those days come, I hope you'll remember that all of us who fight for freedom experience the same thing.

Proverbs 24:10 gives us a good reminder for those "hopeless" days. I'd like you to notice the assumption this verse brings us. It assumes adversity will come. No one lives without it. When thinking about adversity, the issue is "when," not "if." So, all of us should prepare for it.

We also should notice the possibility of fainting. If any of us get to the place where we think we're beyond failure, we've just gotten too big for our britches! I heard just this week of a man who had been sober for more than ten years and started drinking again. It is always too soon to think we've arrived, since we're never really sure what we'll do when adversity comes knocking at our door.

We also need to think about that "your strength is small" line. Proverbs exhorts us to pursue wisdom, instruction, knowledge and understanding. The Wisdom Writer also tells us to listen to wise counsel, that it provides safety for us. The whole purpose of The Proverbs, to live life skillfully, prepares us to face adversity. If we choose to absorb all Lady Wisdom offers, we'll have strength for the day of adversity. If we live as "the simple," we'll have no strength. We'll faint when adversity hits.

I think we see a final assumption in this verse. The Wisdom Writer says "if you faint." You and I don't have to faint! We can live with confidence (not cockiness) when we diligently build strength of character by pursuing wisdom. Not one of us who reads this has to faint. Every one of us can choose to pursue strength by living out the daily disciplines of reading the Scriptures, prayer, practicing accountability and avoiding evil.

Don't forget: Adversity will come. If you're prepared, it doesn't have to win. (Pastor John Strain -- First Baptist of Toms River)

Great Quote for Today: Outside of Christ, I am only a sinner, but in Christ, I am saved. Outside of Christ, I am empty; in Christ, I am full. Outside of Christ, I am weak; in Christ, I am strong. Outside of Christ, I cannot; in Christ, I am more than able. Outside of Christ, I have been defeated; in Christ, I am already victorious. How meaningful are the words, "in Christ."

Watchman Nee

No comments: