Wednesday, April 19, 2006

STAND FIRM

STAND FIRM

I absolutely love the way that God speaks to my heart in my quiet time
with Him. He knows EXACTLY what I need . . . I trust that this
devotional from STREAMS IN THE DESERT will encourage you today.

"Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you
today." (Exodus 14:13)

"This verse contains God's command to me as a believer for those times
when I am confronted with dire circumstances and extraordinary
difficulties. What am I to do when I cannot retreat or go forward and my
way is blocked to the right and to the left?

The Master's word to me is, 'Stand firm.' And the best thing I can do at
these times is to listen only to my Master's word, for others will come
to me with their suggestions and evil advice.

DESPAIR will come, whispering, 'Give up -- lie down and die.' But even
in the worst of times, God would have me be cheerful and courageous,
rejoicing in His love and faithfulness.

COWARDICE will come and say, 'You must retreat to the world's way of
acting. It is too difficult to continue living the part of a Christian.
Abandon your principles.' Yet not matter how much Satan may pressure me
to follow his course, I cannot, for I am a child of God. The Lord's
divine decree has commanded me to go from 'strength to strength' (Psalm
84:7). Therefore I will, and neither death nor hell can turn me from my
course. And if for a season He call me to 'stand firm,' I will
acknowledge it as a time to renew my strength for greater strides in the
future.

IMPATIENCE will come, crying, 'Get up and do something! To 'stand firm'
and wait is sheer idleness.' Why is it I think I MUST be doing something
right now instead of looking to the Lord? He will not only do SOMETHING
-- He will do EVERYTHING!

ARROGANCE will come, boasting, 'If the sea is blocking your way, march
right into it and expect a miracle.' Yet true faith never listens to
arrogance, impatience, cowardice, or despair but only hears God saying,
'Stand firm!' And then it stands as immovable as a rock.

STAND FIRM. I must maintain the posture of one who stands ready for
action, expecting further orders, and cheerfully and patiently awaiting
the Director's voice. It will not be long until God will say to me, as
distinctly as He told Moses to tell the children of Israel, 'MOVE ON!'

In times of uncertainty -- WAIT! If you have ANY doubt -- WAIT, never
forcing yourself into action. If you sense ANY restraint in your spirit,
do not go against it -- WAIT until the way is clear."

Powerful! I needed that word this morning. Maybe you did too. If so, I'd
love to hear from you. Have a great day.

No comments: