Friday, February 10, 2006

DO YOUR WORDS MATTER

DO YOUR WORDS MATTER

I really don't ever want to use this tool as a means to push a
particular political agenda. I must confess that I was very disappointed
in the remarks that were made at Coretta Scott King's memorial service
by former President Jimmy Carter.

My Grandmother taught me that the President of the United States was to
be respected no matter which party he was involved with. She believed
that God was in control of all things, and if her choice for President
lost a race, she would still get behind the new President with her
prayers and encouragement.

Proverbs 11:12 says, "Mean-spirited slander is heartless; quiet
discretion accompanies good sense." I believe that our President
exercised great self-control and dignity by not lashing out at those who
used a memorial service for a great patriot to defend his agenda or
criticize the opposition. President Bush's words were carefully selected
and demonstrated "quiet discretion."

As brothers in Christ, we need to be mindful of our words. They are
powerful. They destroy or bring life. As Chuck Swindoll says, "Our words
reveal what is in our hearts -- they are the dictionary of our heart."
How does your dictionary read?

Do you have trouble saying the right things? To your kids? Your spouse?
Your employees?
Then pray what David prayed: "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep
watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3)

No comments: