Thursday, January 12, 2006

STUFF

STUFF

"A life devoted to THINGS [stuff] is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped
life is a flourishing tree." Proverbs 11:28 (The Message)

The older I am getting the more I have realized how much STUFF I have.
Living in this Seniors community we get to see what happens when a
person dies and the family has to handle the disposition of all the
stuff. We clean out our closets, desk drawers, garages and attics
periodically to get rid of STUFF to make room for more STUFF. In fact,
we will often visit the flea markets in our community and chuckle at the
seniors who are selling their STUFF and then walk around buying more
STUFF!

Some of us fall into the trap of being consumed by and being devoted to
STUFF -- we aren't content with what we have -- we need a better camera.
Someone else gets a new and better computer and we begin to drool and
covet and then map out a plan as to how we can get one that's even
better. Some of us end up working extra jobs and hours so that we can
live a better life and get more stuff. We end up exhausted, burned out,
mad at the kids, frustrated with our spouses -- and quite frankly being
miserable. We buy into the lie from the enemy that MORE STUFF =
Happiness and contentment.

The bottom line is that instead of desiring STUFF and being devoted to
it, we need to SEEK HIM! Oswald Chambers says: "As long as I have
something from God which I possess, I have not got God. God gives us
possessions in order to draw us to Himself, and when we get GOD we are
no longer conscious of our possessions, but conscious only of God. What
possesses me in a yielded life to God is God Himself."

Jesus said it this way -- "Seek first his kingdom and his righteous, and
all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:34 NIV).

Question? Are you seeking HIM today or are you trapped in the
STUFF-MODE? "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the
sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to
the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake
I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ
and be found in him . . ." -- Philippians 3:7-8.

Good question to answer today!

Join us tomorrow evening for our first Men's Fellowship of the New Year!
Dinner is at 6:15 PM! Call today and make your reservation --
800-453-7942. Why not bring a friend!

No comments: