Wednesday, August 17, 2005

SHUT UP AND LISTEN . . .

I am a slow learner. You have heard me say this before on many occasions. I just don't get it at times. My choleric/sanguine personality gets me in trouble because I tend to get the order of things mixed up. I too often speak first and then listen. For most of my years in elementary school, my report card would contain the same lines from my teachers -- "Billy would be a great student if he talked less and listened more . . . "

I am glad that the Father is patient with me. His Word keeps hammering me with the truth HE wants me to hear and learn. Today's chapter in Proverbs hit home: "The one who knows much says little -- an understanding person remains calm. Even dunces who keep quiet are thought to be wise; as long as they keep their mouths shut, they're smart." (Proverbs 17:28-29 THE MESSAGE) Ouch!

The writer to the book of James says: "Dear brothers, don't ever forget that it is best to LISTEN MUCH, SPEAK LITTLE . . ." (James 1:19 NLT). I need to learn to do that -- with my family, my staff, and with the people I meet. When I put this truth into practice, I am walking the way
HE wants me to walk, living the way HE wants me to live -- and in fact, living in obedience to HIS Word.

Yesterday I blew it big time in this area. I was too quick to speak instead of listening. I know that today I need to go back and ask forgiveness of someone that I offended and hurt with my words. Thank You, Lord, for convicting me. Help me to SHUT UP and LISTEN!

"May my spoken words and unspoken thoughts be pleasing even to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14 NTL)

No comments: