Friday, July 15, 2005

A RACE WELL DONE

One of our faithful friends and fellow Freedom Fighter members just completed the race and crossed the finish line at 1:30 AM. I met Butch Geiser, our Camp Ground Host, nine summers ago. He and his dear wife, Faye, have been an example to all of us of how to suffer with grace and confidence in the Lord. Butch has faced numerous physical challenges including heart issues, diabetes, vision problems, and must recently, leukemia.

Butch has been a faithful witness, loving people and sharing Christ with those he meets. He had an amazing love and burden for the men of the Colony of Mercy. To many of the men, Butch and Faye were "Mom and Dad."

These past several months, the suffering has been intense with many days spent in the hospital questioning his quality of life. Several days ago he told Faye that he had enough and that this wasn't life. He was ready to go home to be with Jesus. This morning around 1:30 AM, Butch entered into the arms of Jesus. I could not help but think of Paul's words to Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:6-8: "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that Day, and not only to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Thanks, Butch, for running the race with excellence. You are finally home!

No comments: