Sunday, May 29, 2005

CRIES OF THE HUNGRY

"Radical praise brings radical presence. Never underestimate the power of one moment in His presence. Thirty second in the manifest presence of God turned a murderer named Saul into a martyr named Paul.

Worship comes in many forms. It can touch him through the slightest brush of a finger against the hem of a garment. It can reach through the hoarse-voiced cry of the vocal cords, or it can traverse time and space without a sound as a silent scream of passionate desperation from a
broken heart.

In the city of Jericho, the hunger of a wealthy but rejected businessman, named Zacchaeus, dangling from a tree and the unashamed cries of worship from a heart of a desperate beggar in the dust captured Jesus' heart. Desperate worship stops God in His tracks no matter what social strata it comes from. All are equal in His sight. If God would stop the parade of the universe long enough to change these two human destinies forever, what could He do for you?

I wish more of us in the church would get tired of standing on the sidewalk of spectator Christianity while the 'Jesus parade' goes by. Somebody needs to get hungry enough to cry out. Somebody needs to get desperate enough to arrest the attention of heaven and say, I'm not
going to let You pass me by, Lord. I thank You for what you HAVE done, but I am desperate for what you CAN do.'"

from Tommy Tenney THE GOD CATCHERS published by Thomas Nelson

Pass me not, O gentle Savior -- Hear my humble cry!
While on others Thou are calling, Do not pass me by!

Let me at a throne of mercy find a sweet relief!
Kneeling there in deep contrition -- help my unbelief!

Trusting only in Thy merit, would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded broken spirit, save me by Thy grace.

Thou the spring of all my comfort, more than life to me!
Whom have I on earth beside Thee? Whom in heav'n but Thee?

Savior, Savior, hear my humble cry!
While on others Thou art calling -- Do not pass ME by.

No comments: