Tuesday, April 26, 2005

"PRAYING IS HARDER WORK THAN DOING"

so wrote pioneer missionary to West Africa, Mary Slessor, in the early 19th century. Single and an activist, her days were long and lonely, but she had a remarkable work among the orphans. It is said that she did the work of ten "normal" people during her years of ministry. Her secret? PRAYER!

"My life is one long, daily, hourly record of answered prayer. For physical health, for mental overstrain, for guidance given marvelously, for enmity to the gospel subdued, for food provided at the exact hour needed, for everything else that goes to make up life and my poor service . . . I can testify with a full and often wonder-stricken awe that I . . . know God answers prayer . . . Prayer is the greatest power that God has put into our hands for service. Praying is harder work than doing . . . but the dynamic lies that way to advance the kingdom. I have no idea how and why God has carried me over so many hard places, and made these hordes submit to me . . . except in answer to prayer at for me. It is all beyond my comprehension. The only way that I
can explain it is on the ground that I have been prayed for more than most. Pray on -- power lies that way! " from

DEEPENING YOUR CONVERSATION WITH GOD, by Dr. Ben Patterson -- Bethany Publishers

How's your prayer life this morning? We need to stop talking about it, and as the NIKE commercial says -- JUST DO IT! Have a great day.

No comments: