Thursday, April 28, 2005

Prayer of Pascal

"Blaise Pascal had a born again experience the night of November 23,1654. A brilliant scientist and intellectual, Pascal met God, as if itwere, face to face, and wrote what he saw and felt, as it was happeningto him. He recorded on a piece of parchment, 'From about half past tenin the evening until half past midnight.'

A scientist would want to remember the exact time. The piece ofparchment was sewn in his coat and found after his death. It seems hecarried it with him continually. The first word he used to describe theexperience was simply 'fire.' That alone set the personal God he metapart from the impersonal god of mere intellect and ideas. The nextsentence is more telling: 'God of Abraham, God of Isaac, God of Jacob,not of philosophers and scholars.' His experience is a model of what itmeans to pray to the personal God of the Bible. His prayer is notScripture, but it is scriptural in its fervor.

Certainty, certainty,
heartfelt, joy, peace.
God of Jesus Christ.
God of Jesus Christ.
My God and your God.
'Thy God shall be my God.'
The world forgotten,
and everything except God.
He can only be found by way
staught in the Gospels.
Greatness of the human soul.
'O righteous Father,
the world has not know Thee,
but I have known Thee.
'Joy, joy, joy, tears of joy.
I have cut myself off from him.
They have forsaken me,
the fountain of living waters.
My God, wilt thou forsake me?
Let me not be cut off from him forever!
'And this is life eternal,
that they may know thee,
the only true God,
and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.
'Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ,
I have cut myself off from him,
shunned him, denied him, crucified Him.
Let me never be cut off from him!
He can only be kept
by the ways taught in the Gospel.
Sweet and total renunciation.
Total submission to Jesus Christ.
Everlasting joy
in return for one day's effort on earth.
I will not forget thy word. Amen.

from DEEPENING YOUR CONVERSATION WITH GOD by Dr. Ben Patterson, BethanyHouse Publishers

No comments: