Thursday, March 10, 2005

WORDS

Proverbs 10 is filled with little nuggets of truth about our words. There are two verses that address the mouth using the same phrase. Whenever that happens, the Lord is trying to get our attention.

Proverbs 10:6 "Blessings accrue on a good and honest life, but the mouth of the wicked is a dark cave of abuse." Proverbs 10:11"The mouth of a good person is a deep, life-giving well, but the mouth of the wicked is a dark cave of abuse."

The older I get it seems the more I am getting tuned in to how important my words are. Words can build up and encourage, or words tear down and destroy. Words can bring life -- words can bring death. Sometimes after I have spoken words, I cringe at what I have said. I realize that something I have said in jest has really hurt and broken the spirit of my wife, my kids, or a staff member.

I know someone whose words have destroyed so many people. When this person's name comes up in conversation, what people remember about them is the many horrible things that have come from the mouth of this person. Their mouth rather than being a "deep, life-giving well -- has been a "dark cave of abuse."

How are you using your mouth? Maybe you need to step back today and pray David's prayer in Psalm 19:14 "These are the words in my mouth; these are what I chew on and pray. Accept them when I place them on the morning altar, O God, my Altar-Rock, God, Priest-of-my-Altar. (The Message)

Ponder your words today! Are they life-giving or life destroying? It's not too late for you to register for our Men's Day this Saturday with Dr. Fred Hartley. Three powerful sessions, great worship and plenty of food. See the website for details or call 800-453-7942.

No comments: