Monday, June 04, 2012

Hit Up's From Brooklyn



Be sure and check out the June Discovering Victory Podcast with Dr. Richard Allen Farmer. It will be a blessing to your heart and life. Share this link with a friend and get them to dial in!

Hit Up's From Brooklyn 

“And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head and arrayed him in a purple robe. They came up to him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” and struck him with their hands. Pilate went out again and said to them, “See, I am bringing him out to you that you may know that I find no guilt in him.” So Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, “Behold the man!” John 19:2-5 (ESV)

Every once in a while I get these devotional texts from some guy I know who hails that his roots are in Brooklyn. I’ll text back my "AMEN" to him but he doesn't seem to want to strike up any conversation with me. I guess that’s cool, it doesn't bother me too much but sometimes it would be nice to go over the points he makes in his texts and expand on them. So with that said, I am going to do something that I have done with some of my past Freedom Fighters...I'm gonna share someone else’s words, maybe expand a few of these thoughts and pepper this with a few comments of my own. He will remain nameless but I hope he is reading this.

He starts the devotional with…”If hard work is the formula for prosperity, then everyone who works hard should be prosperous. (my comment- Not that this was ever a promise, brother!) But this is certainly not the case. Many people who work very hard are still poor. I am not advocating laziness. What I am saying is that working hard by the sweat of your brow is not how God's prosperity comes. In fact, if you have to work overtime all the time and are stressed out, you are probably operating under the curse. (my comment-Kinda thought we were anyway, however if we are in need of finance and have prayed that God provide, overtime might be HIS provision, just sayin’)

What curse is that? It is this curse “By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”(Genesis 3:19 ESV) And it refers to the stress, struggle and anxieties that come with working hard and yet producing little. (my comment-I hope this doesn't include Kingdom work?)  Now, work itself is not a curse since God gave Adam work before the fall---Adam was to tend to the Garden of Eden. It was only after he sinned that the land was cursed and it brought forth thorns, and man had to toil to eat of it, “cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field.” (Genesis 3:17b-18 ESV)

But praise God, Jesus wore the thorns on His head to show you that He has borne this curse for you and redeemed you from it. (my comment-I can say AMEN to this point, can you?) He wore the crown of thorns so that you can work stress-free and yet have the results. (my comment-And have a right position with The Father.) You don't have to be worried and stressed out day and night like the people of the world just to get ahead in life. Your heavenly father can get you there without the worries and stress. (my comment- Never doubt this promise, brother! Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. -Matthew 6:31-33 ESV) 

Beloved, every curse that was supposed to fall on your head fell on Jesus' head, typified by the crown of thorns. He wore the crown of thorns for and took your curse so that you can wear the crown of glory and take His righteousness, and all the benefits of that righteousness! (my comment-All the more reason that the world needs Jesus Christ in their lives!! AMEN?) 

Today, don't labor and toil like the people of the world. Instead, expect to see the blessings of God come into your life without blood, sweat and tears because Jesus wore the crown of thorns for you!” (my comment-I hope you allow this to be a thought for this day. And a big THANX to some guy I know who hails that his roots are in Brooklyn.) – Chris Hughes is a regular Freedom Fighter contributor and a graduate of the Colony of Mercy

Motivations: There is only one life that wins, and that is the life of Jesus Christ. Every man may have that life; every man may live that life---Charles Trumbull

Practice to Remember: Level 1:Philippians 1:6; Level 2: Philippians 1:1-11

Powered Up:  Patience in prayer is nothing but faith spun out. Thomas Watson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN!!!