Monday, April 23, 2012

Sittin' Under Joshua's Tree


Sittin’ Under Joshua’s Tree 
 “With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:6-8 (ESV) 

As some of you may have read I am the kinda guy that enjoys a good meal. There is a deli down the street from where I work that makes a slamming turkey breast sub. The meat and cheese are Dietz and Watson brand and the crisp lettuce, tomatoes, onions, banana peppers on a soft sub roll are only set-off just right with the brand of mayo they use. And as I am enjoying this I am re-acquainting myself with a book that I read some time ago. Pastor Mike Woods, who at the time was the Director of the Colony of Mercy, recommended it for my reading. The title is “Wild at Heart” by John Eldredge and it also comes as a study that our Friday night men’s Bible study will be starting.  

The book was recently updated in 2010 but as I have begun to re-read it I stumble onto page six…the very reason why I really dug into this book during my Colony stay. To borrow John’s words, “The wilderness trial of Christ is, at its core, a test of his identity. “If you are who you think you are…” If a man is ever to find out who he is and what he’s here for, he has got to take that journey for himself. He has got to get his heart back.” I needed to hear that back then. As I looked back at that time period in my life this whole ‘New Creation” stuff was flat out hard. I really thought that I was supposed to be this obedient, subdued walking bowl of Jello who would let anyone slap one check while I joyfully offered the other.  

Well pretty soon I will be reaching an anniversary date that I take more seriously than my wedding anniversary.  Now don’t misunderstand things that date has its special meaning to me but the day I said I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and that I needed a Savior is a big day. As that day comes up I have been reflecting back on my journey down this Christian road. It ain’t been easy!! When my buddy Bill Jahns asks me “So how goes the battle?” my reply has always been, “It still goes.” But God in His infinite wisdom, grace and mercy has seen fit to use me as a Ministry Servant wherever I may roam. And the roaming isn’t as aimless as “wherever” may sound. 

As I continued to read “Wild at Heart” during my lunch time I found myself re-reading the part titled, “Westward Expansion Against The Soul” on pages 6-8 and my reflection turned from yesterday into today. The words leaped off the page in the same way they had before. Except this time I used them to measure the man I have become instead of the man I once was. I didn’t know what to look for back then, all I knew was that I was exhausted. But time has taught me that what I read in Micah 6:6-8 is a “FOR LIFE” promise I need to work on keeping. I pondered on this the rest of my afternoon of work. 

It was on my way home that it hits me just a little harder. I popped U2’s “The Joshua Tree” into my car’s CD player on my way home. As the song “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” played the following lyrics I began to weep,

“You broke the bonds

And you loosed the chains

Carried the Cross of my shame

Oh, my shame, you know I believe it!

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”

Maybe I still haven’t found what I’m looking for but what found me will always be. When my time in the wilderness was coming to its end Jesus found me, forgave me and still lets me stay the man His Father created me to be. It is in that where I am content to be His servant but maintain my “Wild at Heart” attitude. And what does that cost me? To do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with my God.”  -- Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and member of the Freedom Fighter team

Motivations:  “Corporate policies and procedures are designed with one aim: to harness a man to the plow and make him produce. But the soul refuses to be harnessed; it knows nothing of day Timers and deadlines and P&L statements. The soul longs for passion, for freedom, for life.”---John Eldredge

Practice to Remember: Level 1: Ephesians 6:2-3; Level 2: Ephesians 5:15

Powered Up:  We ask for silver and God sometimes send his denials wrapped in gold.

No comments: