Monday, February 27, 2012

Mr. & Mrs. Salty Light Bulb

Mr. & Mrs. Salty Light Bulb

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”                                                                                                           Matthew 5:13-16 (ESV)

Even though I have my moments where I walk into my office, put my head down on the desk and ask God, "WHY" it is often offset by those moments where some of the work crew want to discuss Biblical principles with me. I am also blessed to be in an environment where it is okay to listen to Christian radio. I do have a few guys who work on the production lines who have Christian music playing. I have been with the Plant Manager in those times where he has asked for forgiveness if thinks he is taking The Lord's name in vain. He has told me he is half Jewish, half German and he finished the statement with..."Now wrap your head around that one!" So I think it is safe to say it is okay to be a Christian where I work without secular repression.

As I was praying with my wife, Kathy, one morning I had asked that God use us as "Mr. & Mrs. Salty Light Bulb". She asked me what I meant by that and I told her that I had been listening to a message on my office radio from Pastor Greg Laurie. I really have been into HOPE F.M. out of Medford Lakes New Jersey (90.5 on your dial) and on this day Pastor Greg's message was based on being the salt and light of the world. He said the measure of a Christian is what happens when they walk into a room. Such as, if a naughty joke was being shared at work by your co-workers and you walk in on it and it suddenly stops because "Mr. Salty Light Bulb" has just walked in, this is a good thing.

When we take a look at what Jesus says in His Sermon on the Mount concerning being the salt and light of world we should focus in on His encouraging us to maintain being as such. Basically don't allow your saltiness to lose its taste. Pastor Greg shared that our salt should rub off onto others so that they get thirsty. Like eating movie theater popcorn, we should make people thirsty for the word of God. It is to us to make sure that those who thirst partake of the Living Water that Jesus provides. This water is better than the soda that the local Regal theater provides...did you ever drink that stuff? Let alone try to buy a size that is suitable to your thirst...impossible I tell you!!!

It is also likewise concerning our light. As the light we need to be like a city on a hill. If we are truly the light of the world we need not to walk into any secular environment wearing a lamp shade. Now during my times as a disobedient, drunken, drug-riddled basket case wearing the lamp shade wasn't a bad idea. Too bad in those moments all people saw of me was the idiot within but now to wear the lamp shade is sign that I might be embarrassed of the Holy Spirit within me. Jesus is quite clear that if we are embarrassed by Him, He will be embarrassed of us in front of His Father while we stand in front of the Bema seat. Not good I tell you!!!

So here is the crux of the matter...do not be embarrassed if you are called Mr. Salty Light Bulb. If your wife turns out to be Mrs. Salty Light Bulb she should be just as blessed as you. Don't hide your heads if you are in the supermarket and someone greets you and your family as “The Salty Light Bulbs"(guess I am kinda asking for it now huh). If we are hanging the plaque that says “As for me and my house we will serve the Lord” we should be able to illuminate with our Salty Light Bulb’s shouldn’t we? Could someone pass the water? Ah…thank you Jesus, thank you. Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and a Freedom Fighter contributor

Motivations: We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all. Dorothy Day

Practice to Remember: Level 1: Ephesians 3:14-15; Level 2: Ephesians 3:8-13

Powered Up:  We cannot expect too little from man, nor too much from God. Matthew Henry

In a few days we will be launching brand new ministry to equip and train you in walking in victory. DISCOVERING VICTORY! is a monthly podcast of a message shared by one of America's outstanding expositors of the Word of God. Watch for information and join is in DISCOVERING VICTORY!

No comments: