Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blogging and Facebook

Blogging and Facebook

“Oh, that my words could be recorded. Oh, that they could be inscribed on a monument…” Job 19:23

Like many of you I receive a number of blogs and I have a Facebook account. One of the things that has bugged me lately is the way that I see people using their words to tear down rather than build up.
I have found that there are many people who find themselves called to correct everyone and everything. Blogs and Facebook entries have become a place to attack, criticize and tear down rather than to encourage, praise and build up.

There is a place to exhort and teach and to make sure that what we are saying and teaching is doctrinally correct. That is certainly Scriptural and I can’t argue with that.

However, why do we not see more blogs and Facebook entries sharing positive things that people are saying and doing? Why are we not using our words to lift others up rather than using them as weapons of mass destruction.

I have often said that when I retire I am going to write a book about the other side of conference ministry. Some of the men who I have sat under over the years have used the pulpit as their vehicle to tear down other pastors/teachers and authors and to point out all their flaws.

But I have also had to observe them off the platform, and quite frankly, I have embarrassed by their behavior when they are not in front of people. Some of the greatest public speakers have been the most obnoxious, arrogant people I have ever worked with.

I find myself using the DELETE button more often on Facebook and cleaning up the blogs I read.
It is a good reminder to me that my words have power – power to destroy or power to bring life. Job wanted his words to be recorded – to even be inscribed onto a monument. I have a long way to go before I want some of my words recorded like that! I am still growing in that area. How about you? – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick


Motivations: When you are in the furnace, your Father keeps His eye on the clock and His hand on the thermostat. He knows just how much we can take. Warren W. Wiersbe

Practice to Remember: Level 1: Ephesians 3:8; Level 2: Ephesians 3:1-7

Powered Up:  When in prayer you clasp your hands, God opens His. German Proverb

1 comment:

James E. Leary said...

Thanks for your wise words. Finding a balance between grace and truth takes much wisdom. Thanks for the reminder today. Blessings to you!