Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy Birthday, Neil and John

Happy Birthday, Neil and John

Dear brothers and sisters, honor those who are your leaders in the Lord’s work. They work hard among you and give you spiritual guidance. Show them great respect and wholehearted love because of their work. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 NLT

Today I want to honor and thank two men who have been heroes in my life. I want to show them “great respect and wholehearted love” because of their service to Christ (see above).

I have had the privilege of knowing Neil Fichthorn for 41 years. I have been blessed to have mad many godly men in my life – blessed beyond measure, but Neil has been the one man who has had the greatest impact on my life.

I first met him when I was 16, and little did I know how that encounter would be impacting my life 40+ years later. I have learned from him as a musician, supervisor, employer, leader, and friend. I have observed his life so closely that I find myself doing things he does, thinking about how he would do something or handle a situation.

I have watched him live a life of integrity and observe a man who has loved and served the Lord with his very best. Tomorrow is his 77th birthday, and I am privileged to call him my friend. Happy birthday, buddy!

I met Dr. John DeBrine the same year that I met Neil. He was a speaker at Sandy Cove and had a huge impact on my life. I still have notes in my file from his messages that summer. It was my privilege during my ministry years at Sandy Cove to get to know the real John DeBrine, and I have to tell you, while he is one piece of work, he is the real deal. Despite the fact that he calls me an “idiot” or a “moron” at times, he often calls me “kid!”
 Tomorrow is his 87th birthday. And he continues to faithfully proclaim the truth of God’s Word through the ministry of Songtime USA! John, we love you. Finish well, my brother and friend.

Has God put special people in your life? Today might be a good day to thank them for how they have blessed your life. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick


Motivations: If we say that monsters [people who do terrible evil] are beyond forgiving, we give them a power they should never have...they are given the power to keep their evil alive in the hearts of those who suffered most. We give them power to condemn their victims to live forever with the hurting memory of their painful pasts. We give the monsters the last word. Lewis Smedes
                                                                                                
Practice to Remember: Level 1: Ephesians 1:13; Level 2: Ephesians 1:7-14

Powered Up:  Prayer is the conduit through which power from heaven is brought to earth. O. Hallesby

No comments: