Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Neglect Forget Replace

Neglect, Forget, Replace. 

“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed the heir of all things, through whom also He created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the word of His power.” Hebrews 1:1-3 (ESV) 

As the year comes to close I reflect back to what I heard Dr. Harry Wood, Superintendent of the Penn-Jersey Wesleyan District, say in a sermon recently…”what is neglected is forgotten, what is forgotten is replaced, what is replaced becomes our god.” He came to this conclusion during a trip Oberlin College. While there, he went to the library to read the writings of its founder, Charles Finney. To his dismay, barely anyone could help him find any of Finney’s writings let alone know who he was. Anyway, they were eventually found in a spot where dust had accumulated and the lights were off. 

So let’s start off today with asking a few questions. Do you know where your Bible is? Do you keep it out in plain view or do you have a spot for it? I have to keep my Bible out in the open and in plain sight. It serves as a constant reminder for me not to neglect picking it up and reading it. I have found that some of the best “WOW” moments can come from a simple read. Even in those times where I either do not feel like read it or in those moments where I feel that I do not deserve to read it.  

I have those days where the motion of my everyday living sometimes has me stumble over the pebbles on my daily path and I may not have been as Christ-like as I should have been. It’s those days where I know that if I pick that Book up there will be something there to convict me. But I also keep in mind this wonderful promise that “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  The very thing to keep us from neglect is the grace of God…AMEN? 

And if we all were reminded about the grace of God as much as we are being reminded that the economy is in bad shape, we all would be able to quote Bible verses frontwards and back. I would venture to say that we all need to be reminded to maintain our walk with Christ. If we are reminded to practice the maintenance plan we find in God’s Word we walk a bit easier. The place we need to have that happen is in God’s Church. And I do not mean in a building that we call “Church” I mean in fellowship with the people of God.  

 As this year as gone by I have found that being with God’s people serves as that reminder that what is neglected is forgotten, what is forgotten is replaced and what has been replaced becomes a god in my life. In the ancients days the Hebrew households were told to talk “Torah” and in these days we need to do the same. But because of Jesus Christ we are beyond Torah. We need to not just talk Jesus Christ but to walk Jesus Christ. The best way to do this is with God’s people. If we neglect to surround ourselves with God’s people, we will forget God’s people and if we forget God’s people in our lives we will replace them. For all we know they may find us one day, alone, in the dark…accumulating dust. That shouldn’t be! – Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and a frequent Freedom Fighter contributor 

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Revelation 1-5; Psalm 147; Proverbs 28

Compass Pointers: Where His saints are, His sanctuary is, and there He will dwell. He is in the midst of them, in their hearts. It is a spiritual presence, the presence of Christ’s Spirit with their spirits, that is intended here. Though only two or three meet together, Christ is among them. This is an encouragement to the meeting of a few. Grant Me Wisdom   Matthew Henry

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1:Malachi 4:5-6; Level 2: Malachi 4:5-6

Anchored to the Rock: Prayer can change anything. The impossible doesn’t exist. His is the power. Ours is the prayer. Without Him, we cannot. Without us, He will not. Jack Hayford

No comments: