Friday, July 01, 2011

Psalm 1 -- A Paraphrase

Psalm 1 – A Paraphrase

Good morning, brothers. For those of you who have been following our 2011 Bible reading plan, tomorrow you will start to go through the book of Psalms for the second time. Psalm 1 is one of my favorites, so here is a paraphrase from a great series called Creative Praise – Under His Wings by Ward Patterson:

Father, fill be with Your blessings,
   for You alone can satisfy the longings of my heart,
Help me to walk in Your counsel, to know Your ways and follow them
   not haphazardly or spasmodically,
   but patiently, consistently, fully.

Help me to block out the voices that urge me to disobedience.
   Help me to recognize that sin is an abomination to You.
Help me to rein in my desires for the forbidden,
   my longings for the deceits of this world.
Help me to live a separated life
   without being cut off from those You have called me to love in Your name.
Help me to know what to shun,
   what to do, what to say, where to go.
Help me to direct my thoughts to You.
   I am prone to dwell on the destructive and harbor hurt
  rather than fix my mind on You.
Help me to delight in YOUR Word to me.
   Help me to pause in the hurry of my life
   to reflect on Your promises, Your provisions, and Your presence.

I know that when I meditate on YOUR Word,
   You refresh me. You relieve my pressures. You make my life fruitful.
   Your keep me from spiritual draught. You give me ease in my tasks and
   the joy of accomplishment.

But I forgot this too soon and I fall back into spiritual slothfulness.
   My life becomes dry and lifeless.
   I am beset by doubts, defeats, and emptiness.
  I feel condemned, guilty, useless, and crushed down.
  I just don’t feel comfortable with Your people anymore.

You know everything, O God. You know the way of truth and righteousness.
   Let me walk with You!
I don’t want to walk the way of futility and death. I want to walk with You by my side,
   trusting You, and knowing You as may Lord and Master. Amen

I sure needed to hear those words on this first day of July. How about you? Take some time today to read through Psalm 1. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 2 Chronicles 28; Psalm 150; Proverbs 1

Compass Pointers: It is not the quantity of faith, but the quality of faith, that is important. A grain of mustard seed and a pellet of dust are similar in appearance, but the difference is immense. The one has no life burning at the heart of it, while the other contains life as God kindled it. Faith that has in it the principle of life is a faith with God in it. Frederick Brotherton ( F. B. ) Meyer

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 26:28; Level 2: Proverbs 26:17-25

Anchored to the Rock: The measure of any Christian is his prayer life. Vance Havner

No comments: