Monday, June 06, 2011

Wrestling with God

Wrestling With God

    Have you ever had those days or maybe even weeks where your walk with God seems like it’s going anywhere? You have been doing all that you were taught and still nothing seems to move. You are not alone. There have been times that I have not felt like reading, praying or meditating on the word but knew I had to and it was not easy. A friend of mine told me that no matter what you feel like it is crucial that you stay in the word praying and meditating on those things that are praise worthy and acceptable to God. No brainer Huh guys! Until your mind is going 1000 miles an hour only to have it come to a screeching halt, and then the attitude sets in. OH BOY!  Well, I found myself wrestling God, not before Him there is a big difference. 

    A couple of Saturdays ago I had made a conscious decision NOT to go to church on Sunday, in fact I wasn't sure i wanted to continue with this Christianity stuff. As you all know God has A plan and its Not ours. I was really fed up. 

   Ok Sunday morning is here and I'm still wrestling God, grumbling huffing and puffing cuz I didn't want to go to church and so I started getting dressed. I said this out loud, why am I getting dressed? I don't want to go to church. At this point God has me right where He wants me A full nelson.

    We are now at church in discipleship class and the teacher reads a true story about a pastor who wanted to walk out on his ministry because of debt and life seemingly falling apart. This took place at a conference. As the speaker made his way to the front of the stage he was prompted to go to this man not once but twice and asked him if everything was ok. The second time the pastor told the speaker everything. At this point the speaker asked him, did God ask you to leave? A long pause took place and the pastor said with a quiet voice, No he didn't. With that the crowd was so moved they took an offering and paid his debt.  The question, did God ask you to leave? Hit home real fast. All this is going through my seemingly cluttered mind when during the praise and worship music a man stands up and says this.  "At first I thought this was meant for me, but it is meant for the body." "Behold the former things have come to pass and all things have become new." Isaiah 42.9

That hit me like a ton of bricks. I started weeping. The message that Sunday was "step in so you can step out". It was clear to me that I needed to step into the arms of God and so I did weeping the entire service.
   OH! As for the wrestling match God won. – Keith Varga is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy. Thanks for sharing your testimony, Keith!

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 1 Kings 15:25-16:34; Psalm 125; Proverbs 6

Compass Pointers: God does not discipline us to subdue us, but to condition us for a life of usefulness and blessedness. Billy Graham

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 23:7; Level 2: Proverbs 23:12-17

Anchored to the Rock: The best Christian is he that is the greatest monopolize of time for private prayer. Thomas Brooks

No comments: