Friday, June 03, 2011

Seeking Recognition

Seeking Recognition
But we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. 2 Corinthians 4:2

Great devotional. Call us today
to order a copy. 732-350-1187
Over the years I have done battle with the area of the need of self-recognition. I have to keep going back to the cross with this issue, and so I was grateful to read Glynn Evans’ insights on this topic from his daily devotional, Daily with the King (Moody Press):

Lord, my discipleship means that I have surrendered the right to be successful. God’s word to every disciple is, “Seekest thou great things for thyself? Seek them not” (Jeremiah 45:5). If I strive to be great in God’s work, I will never make it. Greatness is God’s handiwork, not mine or man’s.
I must let the world come to me; I must not run after it. The world will come to me if I have something to offer it, even as it came to Jesus. The world is surprisingly sharp when it comes to values; it knows whom to seek out for the things it desperately needs. I must not envy the martyr or long for a “famous” suffering.

It takes greater courage to endure the daily irritation and drudgery of a situation where nothing heroic for Christ seems to happen. Suffering for Christ’s sake has its own exhilaration, but where is the exhilaration of the daily trivia of a barren task?

Seeking recognition and attention is characteristic of the worlding, not the disciple of Jesus Christ. Of course, some of God’s servants do receive attention and renown, but the true servant will ignore such honor and strive to call attention to his Lord and Master. He will treat such fame, not as an asset, but as a hindrance, so much “refuse” (Philippians 3:8) unless it enables him to glorify his God.
To serve God unnoticed takes sublime dedication. God is not looking for great men, but for men who will allow Him to manifest Himself greatly in them. My chief end is to glorify God (not myself), and to enjoy Him (not a dazzling name) forever. May I never glory in my wisdom or strength, but in this: that I understand and know Him who is my God (Jeremiah 9:23-24).

You all probably have it all together! I am still in process. I know that I needed to hear this today. Thanks, Lord, for speaking to my heart. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 2 Chronicles 10-12; Psalm 122; Proverbs 3

Compass Pointers: Old age has its compensations. More than ever I see each day as a gift from God. It is also a time to reflect back on God’s goodness over the years and an opportunity to assure others that God is truly faithful to His promises. – Billy Graham

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 22:4; Level 2: Proverbs 22:1-6

Anchored to the Rock: The prime need of the church is not men of money nor men of brains, but men of prayer. E. M. Bounds

No comments: