Saturday, June 11, 2011

Found in Billy Sunday's Bible

Found in Billy Sunday’s Bible

This week the speaker for our Young at Heart conference was Dr. Wendell Calder. At the conclusion of his Tuesday evening message, he read something that was found in the Bible of the evangelist, Billy Sunday regarding the Word of God. I think you will enjoy it:

Twenty-nine years ago, with the Holy Spirit as my Guide, I entered at the portico of Genesis, walked down the corridor of the Old Testament art galleries, where pictures of Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joseph, Isaac, Jacob, and Daniel hung on the wall.

I passed into the music room of the Psalms where the Spirit sweeps the keyboard of nature until it seems that every reed and pipe in God’s great organ responds to the harp of David, the sweet singer of Israel.

I entered the chamber of Ecclesiastes, where the voice of the preacher is heard, and into the conservatory of Sharon and the lily of the valley where sweet spices filled and perfumed my life.
I entered the business office of Proverbs and on into the observatory of the prophets where I saw telescopes of various sizes pointing to far off events, concentrating on the bright and morning Star which was to rise above the moon-lit hills of Judea for our salvation and redemption.

I entered the audience room of the King of kings, catching a vision written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John writing their Epistles.

I stepped into the throne room of Revelation where tower the glittering peaks, where sits the King of kings upon His throne of glory with the healing of the nations in His hand, and I cried out:

All hail the power of Jesus’ name!
Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem
And crown Him Lord of all.
(from W. A. Criswell, Why I Preach That the Bible is Literally True)

Isn’t that a cool reading? Wow! I love God’s Word and the power of it in our lives. Take some time to read through Psalm 119 today. It will be a great way to prepare your heart for the Lord’s day. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 2 Chronicles 18-20; Psalm 130; Proverbs 11

Compass Pointers: The true secret in giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right. Hannah Whitall Smith

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 23:7; Level 2: Proverbs 23:12-17

Anchored to the Rock: Whether we like it or not, asking [prayer] is the rule of the kingdom. Charles Haddon Spurgeon

No comments: