Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lord, Get Me Home Before Dark Part 2

Lord, Get Me Home Before Dark! – Part 2

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
Yesterday I shared with you the prayer written many years ago by my hero, Dr. Robertson McQuilken.  In my file, I had another version of this prayer that I thought was worth sharing with you. I appeared in a June 1996 letter written by radio Bible teacher, Steve Brown:

Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself that I am growing older, and will some day be old.

Keep me from getting talkative, and particularly from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

Release me from craving to try to straighten out everybody’s affairs.

Keep my mind free from the recital endless details. Give me wings to get to the point.

I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of other’s pains. They are increasing and my love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by!

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet. I do not want to be a saint – some of them are so hard to live with – but a sour old man is one of the crowning works of the Devil.

Make me thoughtful, but not moody; helpful, but not bossy.

With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all – but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. Amen

I can say a BIG AMEN to that prayer as well. Wow. Add that one to your list. It is a good one to pray to help us in the journey of finishing well. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 2 Chronicles 8; Psalm 119:129-136; Proverbs 26

Compass Pointers: In the most lopsided deal of all time, Jesus took our filthy rags of sin and gave us His robe of righteousness. Our righteousness is not our own, it is from Him. Dare we brag of our goodness now?  Paul C. Brownlow

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 21:2-3; Level 2: Proverbs 21:1-5

Anchored to the Rock: Prayer is the contemplation of life from the highest point of view. William James

No comments: