Sunday, January 30, 2011

Himself

HIMSELF

“Christ is all, and in all!” Colossians 3:11

Last Sunday I had the privilege of speaking at a church which was a little “out of my box” in terms of worship style and form. It is a very evangelical church and the service was very liturgical and orderly.

The one thing that impressed me about the service was this – the service was not about a worship team, it wasn’t about impressing people with the latest technology – the service was all about HIM! Every Scripture read, every hymn that was sung, every prayer centered on the worship of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

A. B. Simpson, the great alliance preacher, was also an amazing hymnwriter who not only wrote the music but also the hymn texts. I came across this obscure hymn text that nails the purpose of our worship each Lord’s day – Him and Him alone.

Himself

Once it was blessing – Now it is the Lord!
Once it was feeling – Now it is His Word!
Once His gifts I wanted – Now the Giver own.
Once I sought for healing – Now Himself alone!

Once ‘twas plainful trying – Now its perfect trust!
Once a half salvation – Now the uttermost!
Once ‘twas ceaseless holding – Now He holds me fast!
Once ‘twas constant drifting – Now my anchor’s cast!

Once ‘twas busy planning – Now it’s trustful prayer.
Once ‘twas anxious caring – Now He has the cure.
Once ‘twas what I wanted – Now what Jesus says.
Once ‘twas constant asking – Now its ceaseless praise.

Once it was my working – His it hence shall be.
Once I tried to use Him – Now He uses me.
Once the power I wanted – Now the Mighty One.
Once for self I labored – Now for Him alone.

Once I hoped for Jesus – Now I know He’s mine!
Once my lamps were dying – Now they brightly shine!
Once for death I waited – Now His coming hail!
And my hopes are anchored – safe within the veil.
Refrain
All in all forever, Jesus will I sing!
Everything in Jesus, and Jesus everything!

Wow! Today is not about you! It isn’t about so much about the style or form of worship. The focus of our praise today is just one – HIM and HIM alone! May Jesus Christ be praised. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Exodus 1-3; Psalm 27; Proverbs 30

Compass Pointers: The soul hardly ever realizes it, but whether he is a believer or not, his loneliness is really a homesickness for God. Hubert van Zeller

Navigation Rules: Level 1: Proverbs 5:21; Level 2: Proverbs 5:15-23

Anchored to the Rock: Doubtful prayer is no prayer at all. John Calvin

No comments: