Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year

“Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Romans 10:17

Happy New Year, brothers. Many of you have been thinking through goals and resolutions as we welcome in the year, 2011. I took time last week to think and pray through my goals, and this year they are broken down into four areas: spiritual, physical, personal and vocational.

These are obviously my goals, so I don’t need to share them all with you. But one of my spiritual goals is to read through the 2011 Bible Reading plan. If you haven’t called to order yours (732-350-1187) or downloaded it from our website, it’s not to late.

This year’s plan will take you through the Bible chronologically, through Proverbs 12 times, and through the Psalms 2 times. Last week I gave you a list of devotional resources, but NONE should ever take the place of reading God’s Word.

The older I get, the more I realize that I probably do have Attention Deficit Disorder. One of my kids struggled in the early grades of school and with the help of a team of caring teachers, they discovered that our daughter did much better with taking exams by doing them orally rather than written.

This year I am planning to read through the Bible in a different way. I have an Ipad and have downloaded an audible Bible reading plan (Bible.is). I have done this for over a week now, and it has helped me to concentrate as I read the text sitting in front of me. (You can find all sorts of audible  Bibles for free on the internet.)
In many churches, we don’t hear the READING of the Word anymore. Scripture reading and  responsive readings have become a thing of the past. Paul said in Romans 10:17 that “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Read through Nehemiah and Ezra, and the you will find that both men had the children of Israel LISTEN to the Word of God as it was read to them.

If you struggle (like me) with concentration (drifting thoughts), this might be a way to help you focus in on God’s Word. Hey, don’t knock it till you try it. Thanks for joining me on the journey. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Proverbs 1; Psalm 1; Genesis 1-3

Compass Pointers: There is nothing new about humanism. It is the yielding to Satan's first temptation of Adam and Eve: "Ye shall be as gods." (Gen. 3:5) Billy Graham

Navigation Rules: Level 1: Proverbs 1:7; Level 2: Proverbs 1:1-7

Anchored to the Rock: When God intends great mercy for his people, the first thing He does is set them a-praying. – Matthew Henry

No comments: