Sunday, December 19, 2010

Not I, But Christ


Not, I But Christ

“I have been crucified with Christ; and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

On Friday, Jan and I were honored to attend the Memorial Service of Dorothy Crichton. Dorothy’s husband, Dr. Eric Crichton was the Senior Pastor of Calvary Church in Lancaster for many years, has been a popular conference speaker, a Board member of America’s Keswick, and a dear friend and mentor to me personally.

Dorothy went home to be with Jesus last Saturday evening at age 90. She was a remarkable woman of God, and the theme of her service, which she planned, was Not I, But Christ! It was an amazing service.

Printed in the memorial program was this hymn text written in the early 1900’s by Ada. A. Whiddington. The original music was penned by the late Albert B. Simpson. There is not commentary needed for this powerful text. I want to commit this hymn text to memory, but more importantly, I want it to be the theme of my life:

1. Not I but Christ, be honored, loved, exalted;
Not I, but Christ, be seen, be known, be heard;
Not I, but Christ, in ev’ry look and action,
Not I, but Christ, in ev’ry tho’t and word.

Chorus:
O to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
O to be lost in Thee,
O that it might be no more I, but Christ that lives in me.



2. Not I but Christ, to gently soothe in sorrow;
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ, to lift the weary burden;
Not I, but Christ, to hush away all fear.

3. Christ, only Christ, no idol ever falling;
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing;
Christ, only Christ, no trace of “I” be found.

4. Not I but Christ, my ev’ry need supplying;
Not I, but Christ, my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for body, soul, and spirit;
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.

5. Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision;
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see—
Christ, only Christ, my ev’ry wish fulfilling—
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Thanks, Dorothy Crichton, for living this text throughout your life. May all who come behind you be faithful to do the same. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 19; Jonah 1-4; Revelation 10

Dig This Quote: The Son of God became the Son of Man in order that the sons of men might become the sons of God. – John Blanchard

Determined Digging: Level 1: Acts 1:8; Level 2: John 1:1-17

Determined Praying: (cont. from yesterday) Here is the great secret of success, my Christian reader. Work with all your might, but never trust in your work. Pray with all your might for the blessing in God, but work at the same time with all diligence, with all patience, with all perseverance. Pray, then. And so on, all the days of your life. The result will surely be abundant blessing. Whether you see much fruit or little fruit, such kind of service will be blessed. George Muller

No comments: