Sunday, November 14, 2010

Love Christ, Love His Church

Love Christ, Love His Church

To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Ephesians 3:21

I am a great believer in the ministry of the local church. As the President and CEO of America’s Keswick, we believe in the ministry of the local church. Unlike some people preaching out there today, I believe that Christ still loves the church and hasn’t given up His Bride.

Theologian J. I. Packer, author of the classic book, KNOWING GOD, shared this about the church:
He was an odd little man, lean, intense, and jerky, with a face that seemed to light up as he spoke. I was there out of loyalty to the college chapel, not expecting to be impressed; but he captured my attention telling us how in his teens he had experienced a personal conversion to Jesus Christ, like that which I had undergone myself. “And then,” he said, “I got excited about the church. You could say I fell in love with it.”

Never had I heard anyone talk quite like that before, and his words stuck in my memory. Fifty years later, I can still hear him saying them. He then hammered home the point that all who love Jesus Christ the Lord out to care deeply about the church, just because the church is the object of Jesus’ own love. Church-centeredness is the one way in which Christ-centeredness out to find expression.
Listen to Paul instructing the Ephesians: “Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that He might present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. (Ephesians 5:25-27)

The church that Christ loves and sustains is the key feature of God’s plan for both time and eternity, and care for the church’s welfare, which is what love for the church means, is an aspect of Christlikeness that Christians must ever seek to cultivate. We are right to take the church on our hearts; we should be wrong not to. For our Lord Jesus says to us all, “Love me, love my church.”

Today is YOUR day to be a part of YOUR local fellowship. I trust you will go today to worship with great joy. May your heart and voice reflect this truth: I love Christ, and I love the church! – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick


Dig This Quote: When a sincere compliment comes to mind, don't hesitate to give it.
Janette Oke

Determined Digging: Level 1: John 11:25-26; Level 2: Matthew 5:1-9

Determined Praying:  As a sound may dislodge an avalanche, so the prayer of faith sets in motion the power of God. Mrs. Charles E. Cowman

No comments: