Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Beatitudes Revisited

The Beatitudes Revisited

It seems like every book I have read recently quotes the Phillips translation. Several weeks ago I shared Romans 6-8 with you. Last night I was reading a commentary on The Beatitudes and the author referred to the Phillips translation:

How happy are the humble-minded, for the kingdom of Heaven is theirs!

How happy are those who know what sorrow means, for they will be given courage and comfort!

Happy are those who claim nothing, for the whole earth will belong to them!

Happy are those who are hungry and thirsty for goodness, for they will be satisfied!

Happy are the merciful, for they will have mercy shown to them!

Happy are the utterly sincere, for they will see God!

Happy are those who make peace, for they will be known has the sons of God!

Happy are those who have suffered persecution for the cause of goodness, for the kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

As I read through this passage from Matthew 5, I realized how different our definition of happiness is compared to how Jesus defines happiness. Are you defining happiness today like Jesus? Or are you using another definition to define happiness in your life? Think about it! – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick


Dig This Quote: Self-control for the Christian means that my "self," my whole person, my whole being, body, soul, spirit comes under the control of Christ. It means that I am an individual governed by God. My entire life, every aspect of it - whether spritual, moral or physical - has become subject to the sovereignty of God's Spirit. I am a "man under authority." Phillip Keller

Determined Digging:  Level 1: John 7:38; Level 2: Isaiah 9:6-8

Determined Praying: Between the humble and contrite heart and the majesty of heaven there are no barriers. The only password is prayer. H. Ballou

No comments: