Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Graced by Jospeh's Presence

Graced by Joseph’s Presence

“And we urge you, brethren, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. Be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thess 5:12-18 (NKJV)

I just got done spending eight plus days at America’s Keswick. My family and I took part in “Victory Week Three”. The last time I stayed for an extended time there it was during the summer/fall of 2003 when I was at the Colony. I was blessed with some messages from Glenn Blossom and Charles Zimmerman. The bald headed guy behind the keyboards wasn’t there but there were quite a few singing surprises. The Tuesday night talent show is still etched in my mind. That night I remember there was this guy with a guitar telling some bad jokes about penguins going to the zoo and then to the beach. By the way, they had sunglasses and apparently disturbed the police…any who….!!

I was asked by my good friend, Bill Jahns, if I would take the Friday morning devotions with Housekeeping. I found out that I was also giving his father-in-law the day off which Mr. Sparks made sure I was aware of. Bob I really do hope you enjoyed the time off. On this morning I thought it would be a great idea if I told the guys where God has taken me since I left the Colony. My writing Freedom Fighters was mentioned and I did get to answer some questions. I also hope I encouraged someone there that morning.

But there was this disciple named Joseph that stuck out. He had asked some poignant questions and I kinda remember seeing him around. He also must kinda pop in and out of view because the comment of him gracing people with his presence was mentioned. He took it in stride and the morning went quite well…well I think so. I also had to prepare for the “Families For Christ” Ministry over the weekend so it was a long stay at Keswick to say the least but the part that sticks out the most was my conversations with a graduate named Nabil on Friday night as quiet time was approaching and then with Joseph Saturday night as the Activity Center was closing.

Nabil shared what it is like for him to be a Christian in Jordan. This brother helped my wife and I take a different a view of what we get told in the press about the Middle East. He also told us about the difficulties with the handling of addictions in his homeland. I praise God that He used Nabil that night to straighten out my prejudice with the Middle East. And then there was Joseph on Saturday night. This young man was a refreshing challenge for me. I think of what it must have been like for the Apostle Paul to share the Gospel with Timothy and then raise him up to pastor a church dead smack in enemy territory.

I could hear a zeal in Joseph that I do not hear often enough in my community. That zeal is to die to self. I sometimes find it funny that I travel great distances to and attend conferences to hear preaching on the subject of dying to self. All I did to hear a young man’s quest for death to self was to walk outside an ice cream stand…sorta speak. I did travel to Keswick however and I have been blessed. Thanks to a young disciple named Joseph my view of dying to self has been refreshed. I sincerely thank you Joseph for gracing me with your presence. As for you, my brothers, take some time outside the Dairy Queen and see if there be any Joseph in you. -- Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and a frequent contributor to Freedom Fighter

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 18; Psalms 100-102; 1 Corinthians 1

Dig This Quote: “A man must have a battle to fight, a great mission to his life that involves and yet transcends even home and family. He must have a cause to which he is devoted even unto death, for this is written into the fabric of his being. Listen carefully now: You do. That is why God created you---to be His intimate ally, to join Him in the Great Battle. You have a specific place in the line, a mission God made you for. That is why it is so essential to hear from God about your true name, because in that name is the mission of your life.”Wild at Heart
John Eldredge

Determined Digging: Level 1: Isaiah 55:8-9; Level 2: Psalm 103: 20-22

Determined Praying: We are not wringing gifts from an unwilling God, but going to one who knows are needs better that we know them ourselves and whose heart towards us is the heart of generous love. If we do not receive what we pray for, it not because God grudgingly refuses to give it, but because he has some better thing for us. -- William Barclay




No comments: