Monday, August 23, 2010

Coffee Without Kevin

Coffee Without Kevin

“My son, do not lose sight of these— keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble.” Prov 3:21-23 (ESV)

I have been listening to a sermon series by Pastor Jack Hibbs of Calvary Chapel Chino Hills compliments of a 10 CD set I purchased at Bridgefest recently. It is called “Staying Fit for the Master’s Use” and I have gone back to review the first disc that deals with Samson’s parent’s reaction after they learn that they will be having a son who will be the last judge of Israel. I believe that God has spoken to me about studying the life of Samson and at a later time I will be sharing what I have gotten out of my study. Thus far I can tell you all that there may be a little Samson in all of us but I’ll leave that for another Freedom Fighter. But today my thoughts are elsewhere.

And as I was listening to Pastor Hibbs preach about the son of Manoah, I got to thinking about my own son. At the time of this writing my son, Kevin, has been serving on summer staff in the dining room at Keswick. And to be upfront with all of you…I miss my son. Now it’s not that he made this rebellious decision to up and leave the nest like his father did at age 17, on the contrary. He made a thoughtful life choice that has left quite an impression on my wife and I. My decision to leave home started with an enlistment into the N.J.A.N.G and a half a year later I was gone. I made a much hastened decision to get away from my parents authority. But not Kevin…he positively thought things all the way through.

Since he has gone things at home are different. I miss my Saturday morning drive around town with him. We make it a point to get a Starbucks coffee and then go do some man shopping. We both like The Home Depot and Best Buy. Sometimes we buy absolutely nothing and we can be gone for hours. He is also my assistant when our church sound system and computer network needs servicing. With him not being around a part of my heart is not into taking care of some of these responsibilities and I am blaming the summertime blues on it. But I ain’t fooling anyone into thinking this is the real reason.

I also got to thinking about our good friends in Terre Hill, Pa. Matt and Sue will be watching as their son goes into the Marines (OORAH!!) after high school next year. Their son, from what I can see, made his decision sometime ago and is following through on what he thinks will be a positive move. And as these thoughts of sons went through my head I turned off the CD I was listening to and began to wonder what the Father was thinking when He sent the Son to be crucified on the cross. An act of surrender, a process thought all the way through, that not one of us as parents could ever fathom.

I have been reading through the beginning part of Proverbs these days because it is this father’s desire that his son understand that the key to growing strong starts with his relationship with our Heavenly Father and His Son. I can only give the kind of wisdom that a drop-out of the school of “I don’t need you, I can do this myself” can give. But since Jesus Christ picked me and set my feet on the Rock, it is quite evident to me the importance of my own son understanding now what took me over 40 years to realize… That his trust needs to be in the Lord, not to lean on his understanding, acknowledge Him and to let Him direct his paths. And for you fathers reading this morning let’s not forget this applies just as easy for our daughters. -- Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and a frequent contributor to Freedom Fighter

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 23; Psalm 113-115; 1 Corinthians 6

Dig This Quote: “This mission of introducing one’s children to the Christian faith can be likened to a three-man relay race. First, your father runs his lap around the track, carrying a baton, which represents the Gospel of Jesus Christ. At the appropriate moment, he hands the baton to you, and you begin your journey around the track. Then finally the time will come when you must get the baton safely into the hands of your child. But as any track coach will testify, relay races are won or lost in the transfer of the baton. There is a critical moment when all can be lost by a fumble or miscalculation. The baton is rarely dropped on the back side of the track when the runner has it firmly in his grasp. If failure is to occur, it will likely happen in the exchange between generations!” Dr. James C. Dobson

Determined Digging: Level One: Jeremiah 29:11; Level Two: Psalm 127

Determined Praying: The test of our willingness to pray "Your Kingdom come, Your will be done" is found in the level of our obedience to His Word. It should be our desire in prayer to see the King and His kingdom, praying toward that day when He comes as King of kings and Lord of lords. -- Michael Catt

No comments: