Friday, July 09, 2010

Thought Control

Thought control

2 Corinthians 10:5 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Have you ever wondered why God blessed/cursed us with our imagination? I have. When I read Hebrews 2:9 I thought that it was a hyperbole but I now realize that it is a proper use of a saint’s imagination.

When you pray do you ever take the time to imagine where Christ is and what He is doing that He should stop to listen and to do what you desire? He does you know. The passage sees Jesus enthroned with his “servants” who are ready to do His bidding so:

“Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there”, Wrote the hymnist.
When we struggle with temptation we need to “bring every thought into captivity”.
Temptation only exists as long as our thoughts feed it. Use the thoughts that Paul mentions in Philippians 4:8 . You cannot not think! You can, however, use good thoughts to replace the evil ones, 2 Corinthians 10:5

To stop unwanted negative thought you must ignore the negative by concentrating on the positive. The feelings that we have that come from our thoughts will change almost immediately.
I remember my first boot leave in San Diego. I was alone in front of a night club. There was no one there to report my actions but Jesus was very real to me. I said to Him. “You can wait here and I will run in and come right back out. I just want to see what it is like.”

I felt that the Lord said, “No, that’s alright I will just go with you.” At that point I said, “No forget about it. I just won’t go.” When Christ is that real, temptation looses it power. -- Pastor George Van Sandt will be our campus Pastor this summer at America's KESWICK

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 9; Job 38-40; Acts 16:1-21

Dig This Quote: All during the day, in the chinks of time between the things we find ourselves obliged to do, there are the moments when our minds ask: 'What next?' In these chinks of time, ask Him: 'Lord, think Thy thoughts in my mind. What is on Thy mind for me to do now?' When we ask Christ, 'What next?' we tune in and give Him a chance to pour His ideas through our enkindled imagination. If we persist, it becomes a habit. Frank Laubach

Determined Digging: Level 1: Psalm 30:5 Level 2: Psalm 101:1-5

No comments: