Friday, June 18, 2010

Wisdom for Distracted Souls

Wisdom for Distracted Souls

"To You, my strength, I sing praises, because God is my stronghold -- my faithful God." Psalm 59:17 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Sometimes God speaks to our hearts in the strangest of places. Many of you know that I have a major book addiction. I love to read, and because of my love for reading, I receive many catalogs featuring new books.

Last night when I came home from work, I picked up a catalog and read an amazing quote from a brand new work by Puritan preacher, Nathaniel Vincent. He lived from 1638-1697. I was moved by the excerpt from his teaching -- it was just what I needed to hear:

While we are in this world, truly this world is too much in us; it is suitable to our senses, and apt to entice and draw away our hearts. Let the eye of faith pierce through the clouds and see heaven's joy and glory, and then this world's vanity will be more apparent.

How vain it is for you to be so thoughtful about it and eager after this world. When faith has seen how God is attended upon by saints and angels above, it may help to kindle in you a holy zeal and a vehement desire to more resemble those excellent attendants, and to serve the Lord more gladly and seriously here below.

Oh, cry out to have the cure of distractions carried on further toward completeness. Live as strangers and sojourners here on earth, not concerned about worldly things as others are. Declare plainly that you are born from above, and let your hearts and thoughts more and more ascend there.

Carry yourselves as fellow citizens with the saints, and as those who are of the household of God. Let there be more of God, and more of grace in all you do and speak, in all the power of your souls, in all the duties you perform.

And think with gladness and longing of that blessed inheritance, when you shall fully be delivered from sin and death, and from all deadness and distraction in mind and heart. Everlasting rest must eternally exclude whatever now troubles you. How perfectly healed and perfect in holiness and joy you will be in every way when you have attained to the glorious liberty of the sons of God!

Wow. I needed to hear those words. It is so easy to be distracted in the day in which we live. Is your soul distracted today? What is keeping you from spending time with HIM today? He's right there waiting to meet with you, brother! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK
Dig This Quote: Focusing on God in the present moment is an antidote to self-pity and despair. It gives one clearer vision, courage and energy in the face of life's troubles. Such an approach helps one to avoid even the smallest tension, anger and bitterness. Attention to God's presence dissolves them. I can help others because I am not focused on myself. Glen Argan
Determined Digging: Level 1: Proverbs 16:7; Level 2: Psalm 92-1-4

No comments: