Sunday, February 07, 2010

A Prayer of Confession

PRAYER OF CONFESSION

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

This morning most of us will be celebrating the Lord's Supper at our churches. As a part of preparing our hearts for the taking the bread and cup, Paul exhorts us to "examine" ourselves so that we are clean before we take part in this memorial feast.

During our Pastor's conference this past week, Robert Hayes shared a prayer of confession that was sent to him by email. It would be a good way for you to begin this day with this prayer. Read it slowly and allow the words to become your prayer to your Father today:

Dear Heavenly Father,
I confess that I have sinned against You, through my own fault, in thought and word and deed, in what I have done and I have left undone.


I have not loved You with my whole heart, and mind, and strength.

I have too often forgotten that I am Yours. Sometimes I carry on my life as if there was no God.

I have not loved my neighbor as myself.

I have not forgiven others, as I have been forgiven.

I confess to You the pride, hypocrisy, and impatience in my life.

I confess I have not properly loves and nurtured those closest to me; my wife and children.

I confess my frequent failures to think pure and excellent thoughts; to often lust and let anger fill my mind.

I confess my self-indulgent appetites and the way I use other people to get what I want.

I confess my envy of those more fortunate than I.

I confess my lust after worldly goods and comforts.

I confess my dishonesty in daily life and work.

I confess my negligence in prayer and worship.

I confess my blindness to human need and suffering, and my indifference to injustice and cruelty. I have not done the loving things that I ought to have done ... especially for the weakest and most neglected around me.

I confess my unloving thoughts and actions towards my neighbors.

I confess my prejudice and contempt toward those who are different from me; or who disagree with me.

I confess my waster and pollution of Your creation, and my lack of concern for those who will come after me.

I confess the heartbreak, worry, sorrow that I have caused, that make it difficult for others to forgive me.

I confess the times I have made it easy for others to do wrong; when I was not a credible witness for You.

Accept my repentance, Lord. For the sake of Your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, forgive all my sins and offenses to You. In removing my guilt, please also grant me a daily increase of Your Holy Spirit so that I may serve You in newness of life, to the glory of Your name. Amen

Powerful prayer. Work it through this morning. Be clean today as you participate with your brothers and sisters at the Table. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

DIGGING DEEPER: Proverbs 7; Leviticus 1-3; Matthew 24:1-28

DIG THIS QUOTE: All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. – Bruce Wilkinson

DETERMINED DIGGING: Level 1 -- Psalm 19:14; Level 2 --Psalm 27:1-6

No comments: