Friday, December 18, 2009

The Right Perspective on Loving Ourselves

The Right Perspective on Loving Ourselves

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love." 1 John 4:18

Today's Freedom Fighter presents a right perspective on loving ourselves. It is a good read and a perspective that you and I need to have ...

I must at all times maintain the delicate balance of attitudes toward my "self." I must respect and love myself without becoming egocentric, for egocentricity is sin. Why not love myself? There is nothing wrong with self -- as self. Jesus died for my, myself, and He did so because He loved me, that is, myself. Self becomes a problem only when I allow it to become self FIRST when it becomes preoccupied with itself, when it wants attention and worship that are due only to God.

I cannot be truly joyful if I am not a peace with myself. I do incalculable harm to my personality if I hate, despise, and reject myself. To be crucified with Christ does not mean that the self literally dies. It simply means that I must always die to my own desires if they conflict with the will of Christ or run counter to the well-being of others. When I surrender my will to Jesus Christ, I am doing the very opposite of bruising or afflicting myself; I am freeing myself to be the kind of person God intended me to be.

I must not delight in self-punishment, as if it were a virtue. It is not trust the more I suffer, the more God is glorified. Of course I must realize that my natural born self is permeated with sin, a legacy from Adam; but God's redemptive purpose for me is to rescue me FROM sin, not to destroy me WITH sin. Spiritual victory is the proper relationship of these three things: to love God first and seek His glory; to love my fellowmen and seek their highest good; and to love myself and seek my highest expression in company with God. -- Dr. Glynn Evans -- DAILY WITH THE KING (MOODY PRESS)

Good perspective for us today, brothers. Have a great day. I love and appreciate you, and thank you for joining me on this daily journey. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for US: Proverbs 17; Amos 7-9; Revelation 8

Great Quote: In Matthew 28:20 Jesus says, "Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." In Hebrews 13:5 God says, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Jesus tells his disciples in John 14:18, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." One of Jesus' names, Emmanuel, means "God with us." We don't need to ask God to be with us if we are members of his family. Instead, we need to pray that we will be aware of his presence, that we will be confident because of it. -- Bill Hybels

No comments: