Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Aftermath of Victory

The Aftermath of Victory

"He who overcomes, I will grant him to sit down with Me on My throne. as I also overcome and sat down with My Father on His throne." Revelation 3:21

If we are honest, we love a victory whether it be in sports, playing a competitive game with our family -- that's the way we men are wired. We love to win!

While we are looking for our spiritual life to be one of victories won, we must be careful in our perspective about spiritual victories. Dr. Glyn Evans in his powerful devotional book, DAILY WITH THE KING, helps us understand the perspective we need to have:

I must be careful never to let a victory over Satan become my weakness, for his prime targets are not victims, but VICTORS! Paul reminds me of this when he says, "And having done all, to stand." (Ephesians 6:13) In other words, after a notable victory, BE ALL THE MORE ON YOUR GUARD! Satan is the great "spoiler" and he loves to suck the honey out of our sweet victory after we have won over him.

Think of Sanballat and Nehemiah. After his threats, bombast's and harassment failed, Sanballat said to Nehemiah, "Come, let us meet together ... in the plain of Ono." Nehemiah 6:2 He mean, "Why fight each other any longer? I tried to prevent the wall from going up, but I failed. Now let's be good sports, forgetting the past, and plan something harmonious for the future." SATAN NEVER QUITS WHEN HE LOSES. If Nehemiah had listened to Sanballat, all his previous efforts would have been washed away.

I love the word Nehemiah gave in reply: "I am doing a greater work and I cannot come down." Nehemiah 6:3 WHEN SATAN COMES TO NEUTRALIZE MY VICTORY, I AM TO IGNORE, SLIGHT AND REFUSE HIM! NEVER MUST I TURN FROM GOD'S DIRECTIVE (TO BUILD WALLS FOR HIS WORK) AND TO THINK ABOUT SATAN'S SUGGESTIONS!

More than that, I must never gloat over my victory with Satan, for gloating represents an abnormal preoccupation with the victory itself, rather than the work God has given me to do. The victory is only an incident, a battle in the eternal war, and I must quickly arm myself against the next visit from the evil one. Having done that, I must STAND, not nakedly, but "in the strength of HIS might (Ephesians 6:10), for my all-Conqueror has blunted Satan's darts and crushed his armory forever!

Good reminder, brothers! I trust this will be helpful to you today! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for US: Proverbs 3; Ezekiel 45-46; 1 John 2 (Just a reminder that if you read these passages of Scripture with me every day, you will read through the Bible in one year!)

Great Quote: Suffering is a wonderful fertilizer for the roots of character.

Don't miss a great evening of music with violinist, Jamie Jorge at our Christmas Dinner Concert, Thursday evening, December 10th. Tickets are still available. This is a great treat for your wives, guys! Call today and make your reservation: 732-350-1187

No comments: