Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why Repent?

WHY REPENT?

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:15)

How do you interpret scriptures in Revelation 2:5, Revelation 3:16, and James 2:14 that sound like repenting is a condition to salvation?

The renowned C. I. Scofield said, “Repentance is not an act separate from faith, but saving faith implies that change of mind which is called repentance.”

John the Baptist paved the road to Jesus by preaching only one message: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matthew 3:2) Jesus’ forerunner taught repentance as paving the road to salvation, by faith.

As Jesus launched His earthly ministry, God says, “From that time Jesus began to preach and say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand’ ” (Matthew 4:17). You might say that Jesus preached repentance as the “front porch” to salvation by faith.

Jesus commissioned Peter as the “apostle to the Jews.” Peter subsequently preached, “Repent therefore and return, that your sins may be wiped away” (Acts 3:19). Peter called for the Jews to repent.

Jesus commissioned Paul as the “apostle to the Gentiles.” Paul subsequently preached, “God is now declaring to men that all everywhere should repent” (Acts 17:30). Paul preached repentance to Gentiles.

The four great teachers of the New Testament, Jesus, John, Peter and Paul insisted that man must repent. Repent means to do a 180o. The person who refuses to repent implies that he is firmly seated on the throne of his life. He is his own god (controller, ruler, source).

I believe that much of today’s evangelism, although well-meant, presents heaven, an eternal retirement villa, as the goal of salvation rather than a living, agape relationship with the God of the Universe. We hear many “believers” talking about heaven, heaven, rapture, rapture, but rarely if ever mentioning being in an intimate, One-on-one relationship with Father. It’s like Jesus is a Celestial Environmentalist whose purpose on the cross was to save us from a bad environment called hell and usher us into a good one called heaven where we’ll live it up eternally. It’s all about a self-indulgent environment instead of about a Father/child relationship with our wonderful God.

My goal is not to wound or plant doubt about anyone’s salvation. But, when the Lord first showed the above to me, I had to ask myself if I had repented because this had not been emphasized when I came to Christ that I recalled. I had simply been told to believe (Acts 16:31) which I had done. But the Holy Spirit assured me that everything was OK between God and me because over the years I had clearly demonstrated a repentant attitude even dating back to my salvation. Although I did not use the R word, I remembered telling God in my salvation prayer time that I wanted to change.

So, what are you to do if you’ve never repented? Repent. -- Bill Gillham is the founder of Lifetime Guarentee, and author of the book by the same title.

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 13; Psalm 87-88; Romans 13

Great Quote: Dr. Chalmers went to see a Scots woman in her time of trouble about her sin. She was trying to "get faith". On his way to her house, he had to cross a stream over which was a thin plank. Looking out of her window, she saw he was afraid to venture across it, and, coming out, she called to him. "Just lippen to it". That was her way of advising him just to trust himself to the plank. Then he spoke to her about the way of salvation and used the ilustration and her own words to explain to her how to trust the Saviour. Thomas Chalmers

No comments: