Friday, June 26, 2009

Knowing God

Sorry that there was no Freedom Fighter yesterday. We were in Denali, Alaska and there was no internet connection! :(

KNOWING GOD

“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10)

Have you ever thought about how we know God? We can’t see Him. Most of us have never heard Him speak in an audible voice, and we’ve not touched Him. So, how do we know Him?

Surely we can know God through the Scriptures. Is that kind of knowledge sufficient to satisfy us or God. Should not our knowing be more intimate than just words on paper–even when God Himself inspires the words? We can also know God through His creation. The majesty of that creation tells us of His power and majesty. Still, I wonder if that’s enough.

Perhaps another question will help. How did God tell us to know Him? One verse of Scripture has captured my attention. It has pushed me to rethink how I know God. Psalm 46:10 says to us “Be still, and know that I am God. . . .” The next verse reminds us that “The Lord of Hosts is with us” (emphasis added). Busyness won’t help us know God. Taking on more responsibility won’t help us know God. All of the busyness and clutter of our lives may keep us from knowing God. God didn’t tell us to know Him by filling our lives with activity.

The Scriptures remind us that Jesus regularly got away from people. He chose to be alone with His Father. Almost immediately after becoming a Christian, Paul went to the Arabian Desert. For three years he was alone and still with God. (Galatians 1:13, 15-17) God reminded the prophet that he would not hear God’s voice in loud and noticeable ways. His voice most often comes in still and small ways.

Most of us want to know God. Most of us won’t because we’re too busy. We have too much noise and clutter around us. All of us have aspirations . . . dreams . . . goals. To know Him as He is knowable will require ruthless effort on our part. We must make room for quiet solitude that will allow us to “Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at Me, your High God. . . .” (Psalm 46:10 in The Message) -- Rev. John D. Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist of Toms River and a frequent Freedom Fighter contributor

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 26; Job 5-7; Acts 8:1-25

Great Quote: How many Christians are there who pray every Sunday in church, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done!" without ever realizing the spiritual implications of such intercession! What are we praying for? Should we edit that prayer so that it becomes a confrontation: "My kingdom go, Lord; let Thy kingdom come!" Certainly His kingdom can never be realized in my life until my own selfish kingdom is deposed. It is when I resign, when I am no longer king of my domain that Jesus Christ will become king of my life. A. W. Tozer

No comments: