Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Can't Do This

I Can't Do This

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Over the years I have had people in my office, guests and staff, who have shared with me that there are things that they just can't do. I have been there, too. I can list off a number of times where I have been up against situations and circumstances where I know that I can't do it.
The amazing thing about victorious Christian living -- living life the way God intends it to be -- is that you come to the realization that you can't! You can't live the Christian life -- it is impossible. You can't do lots of things -- Jesus told His disciples that "apart for ME you can do nothing!"
The bottom line is that we can't -- but THROUGH Christ we can! We can't live the Christian life apart from Jesus Christ living HIS perfect life through us.
Last year at this time, our granddaughter Lindsay was in Children's Hospital Boston. She had just had her open heart surgery and everyone was exhausted. The staff allowed one person to spend the night with her. The kids were tired, my wife was tired. I really don't know where it came from because it wasn't me -- I hate hospitals. Blood! Needles! Yuck!
But for some reason I knew that God wanted me to spend the night with Lindsay. My family were shocked. I WAS SHOCKED. I know that it was Christ doing this THROUGH me.
During the night, Lindsay was trying to wake up from the anesthesia. I was resting in the bed behind her, and in the process of her thrashing about, she pulled an important tube out. The nurse woke me to alert me that she had called the surgeon. The problem was that Lindsay was bleeding from the line and they couldn't wait for the surgeon. I thanked them for informing me about the situation and I was getting ready to go back to the bed and pray.
The nurse said, "Where are you going? You need to help with this. Stand here and I will tell you what to do!" I had amazing peace during the process. She made a funny statement, "I am glad you are here right now because you know Jonathan (Lindsay's Dad and my son-in-law) hates blood. He would have passed out!" I looked at her and said, "If you only knew!"
Looking back, I know that Lindsay had no clue I was there. I am glad that I allowed Christ to help me through that situation. It was my only night to have a date night with just me and Lindsay. Little did I know that weeks later she'd be with Jesus.
Are you trying to do something on your own? Trying to live the Christian life on your own? Take a good hard look at Philippians 4:13. Let Christ do if for you! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK
God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 25; 2 Samuel 21:22; Luke 18:24-43
Great Quote: Job's friends chose the right time to visit him, but took not the right course of improving their visit; had they spent the time in praying for him which they did in hot disputes with him, they would have profited him, and pleased God more. William Gurnall

No comments: