Monday, March 16, 2009

Sometimes I Miss the Obvious

Sometimes I Miss the Obvious

"And God came to Balaam at night and said to him, 'If the men have come to call you, rise, go with them; but only do what I tell you." Numbers 22:20

I am reading through the book of Numbers! Wow! Most of the book -- well let's just put it this way -- I am really trying to plow through. I must confess that in year's past, I have not plowed through -- but skimmed through -- and obviously missed some pretty amazing insights that I needed to hear.

Saturday and Sunday's readings were about Balaam and the donkey! If you remember the story, Balak want Balaam to curse the people who appeared to be more mighty than him and his people. Every time Balaam went to curse the people, God instructed him not to, and gave him the reasons why.

God made it very clear to Balaam not to cave into what Balak wanted him to do and instructed him to ONLY do what HE (the Lord) told him to do. Like most of us, Balaam decides to do things his way, and starts out on a journey riding his favorite donkey!

God stepped in and sent the angel of the Lord to stand in the way. Good old Balaam was so set on doing his thing that he missed the obvious. Not so for the dumb donkey! Actually the donkey had more smarts than Balaam because her vision was so clear that she saw the angel of the Lord and refused to move!!! (Now I could really get myself in trouble here -- Did you ever notice that our wives are sometimes like the donkey? They have this God-wired discernment to be able to see things that we men just miss! Not that I am calling Jan a donkey -- don't get me into trouble!!!)

The first time the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, she moved and walked away. The second time, she pushed old Balaam up against the wall to hurt his foot to get his attention. The old boy still didn't get it. The third time, the old girl just laid down!!!

I bet the old boy was frustrated. Then all of a sudden the Lord opened old Balaam's eyes! He immediately got down on his hands and knees. I bet he was muttering, "That stupid old mule had more sense than me. How could I have missed the obvious?

The angel of the Lord said to him, "Why have you struck your donkey these three times? Behold, I have come out to oppose you because your way is perverse before me. Wow!!!

Can I ask you a question? Have you ever thought about how many times the Lord has brought something into your life to protect you from making a wrong choice, walking in the wrong direction, or providing that unique way of escape when faced with temptation. The answer is right in front on your face -- except that we are so bent on doing it our way, or doing our own thing, that we miss the obvious!!!

Recently we have been faced with a very difficult decision as Board. From all appearances the desired outcome could have been phenomenal. But every way has been blocked with questions and confusion that I believe came from the Lord to keep us from making a wrong decision that could have had monumental implications. Many of us where praying, "Lord, show us the way. Make the path clear! Open our eyes so that we walk in the right way."

As hard as it was to walk away from what could have been an amazing opportunity, there is peace because God showed up in very special way and made the way clear. We could have forged ahead and missed the signposts that the Lord was giving us.

Thankfully, Balaam was willing to say, "I blew it! I sinned. I did what was evil in Your sight, Lord." And he turned back! I wrote in my journal today, that I want to be that sensitive to the Lord. When He shows me the way to walk -- I want to be obedient to move forward, or turn around and walk in a different direction. How about you? Is there something in your life where you are missing the obvious? If so, repent! Preach the gospel to yourself, and turn around and walk HIS way! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 16; Deuteronomy 28-29; Mark 14:54-72

Great Quote: Character is made up of small duties faithfully performed--of self-denials, of self-sacrifices, of kindly acts of love and duty. Anonymous

No comments: