Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pursue Influence

Pursue Influence

"Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh, and refreshment to your bones." Proverbs 3:7

Why is it that so many guys get to my age and seem to throw it all away? It's one of those plaguing questions that I have been asking myself now that I have reached "half-time."

There are certainly biblical illustrations of guys that made it to the finish line without dropping the ball -- But Scrripture sure has the sad reminders of men who did not finish well.

Almost always we blow it because we take our eyes of the Lord and allow our hearts to wrap around wrong pursuits.

Pat Williams recent book "WHAT ARE YOU LIVING FOR?" has inspired me to think through some pretty weighty issues. In one of the chapters, he suggests that we need to pursue being an influencer.

Listen to the seven ways that he suggests we do that:

1. Be careful what you say. "We easily forget that words have the power to cut to the core of the human soul. We need to wield that power for the purpose of healing others, using our words as a surgeon's scalpel, not a butcher's knife." I was recently brought up short because I didn't realize how my sarcasm can be so cutting. I've had to ask the Holy Spirit to help me in this area as it has been a huge blind spot.

2. Be aware that others are watching your example. "Make sure you so live your life as if you are under a microscope, even in your private moments. Make sure there is no conflict between your words and the way you live in your life. Practice total integrity and you will have an enduring influence.

3. Use your accomplishments and your influence to inspire the next generation. I am the product of a generation before me that spent significant time influence my generation. I need to focus my energies and remaining years doing that for the generation that will follow me.

4. Take advantage of every "moment of influence." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when those moments come. You can be creative in using those moments that will count for eternity.

5. When you make a mistake, admit it. Isn't it a shame that some of the hardest words in our vocabulary are the words, "I made a mistake," or "I was wrong."

6. Be generous with your time and resources.

7. Make all your decisions on the basics of ethics and integrity, not on personal advantage. Pat suggests that you ask these questions:

Is it legal? Will I be violating either civil law or company policy?
Is it balanced? Is it fair to all concerned?
How will it make me feel about myself? Would I feel good if my decision was published in the newspaper? Would I feel good if my family knew about it?

So what do you think? Are you willing to pursue influence and BE a person of influence in the lives of others? -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 12; Genesis 31-32; Matthew 9:18-38

Great Quote: How thrilling to go through life sharing God's mercy and not having tojudge people to see if they are "worthy" of what we have to offer. Westop looking at the externals and begin to see people through themerciful eyes of Christ. Every Christian we meet is a person in whomJesus lives; every lost soul we meet is a person for whom Jesus died. Inboth cases, we have candidates for God's mercy. Warren W. Wiersbe

Check out this week's STEWARDSHIP INSIGHT by George: http://americaskeswick.org/363836.ihtml#h_6124

Join us this Thursday for our Men's Fellowship Night. Pastor Willy Winborn is our guest speaker. Willy is the Pastor of Bethlehem Baptist in Woodbury, NJ and a member of the America's KESWICK Board of Trustees. Dinner starts at 6:15 PM followed by the evening program. Call 732-350-1187 for reservations.

No comments: