Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Search My Heart Part 1

Search My Heart (Part 1)

We are still trying to work out the kinks with the new format for Freedom Fighter. If you cannot open your email, please let me know as soon as possible. Please note that the date is off on the email version, but right if you open it in your browser. Please bear with us while we are "under construction."

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me ..." Psalm 139:23-24

One of my staff told me that on Sunday night they wanted to slap the preacher! Don't get mad and write me letters. The reason why she wanted to slap the preacher was because he was speaking through the Holy Spirit right to her heart. God does that.

I am back in the exercise mode. I am embarrassed to tell you that I have been very negligent in this area of my life for more months this year than I want to admit. But I started back on the treadmill and have some major catch up to do in listening to CD's that I've wanted to all year, besides trying to walk off the pounds I've gained in 2008.

Diane Hunt, our Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries loaned me a set of messages by Pastor C. J. Mahaney on "The Idols of the Heart." The first one has been a real ... well let's put it this way -- very convicting.

In this first message he drew attention to a list of questions written by CCEF counselor/speaker/author, David Powlison. It is a powerful list of questions to help you figure out the the "stuff" you are dealing with in your heart. I have written him to see if we can get permission to do a PDF file, so until we hear from him, don't mass produce these.

I will share the 34 questions over the next couple of days. Hold on ...

1.What do you love? Is there something you love more than God or your neighbor?

2.What do you want? What do you desire? What do you crave, long for, wish? Whose desires do you obey?

3. What do you seek? What are your personal expectations and goals? What are your intentions? What are you working for?

4. Where do you bank your hopes? What hope are you working toward or building your life around?

5. What do you fear? Fear is the flip side of desire. For example, if I desire acceptance, then I fear your rejection.

6. What do you feel like doing? This is a synonym for desire. Sometimes we feel like eating a gallon of ice cream, or staying in bed, or refusing to talk, etc.

(From X RAY Questions by David Powlison)

Pretty intense questions? I sure think so. But worth asking as we prepare for the new year. More to come tomorrow. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 17; Amos 7-9; Revelation 8

Great Quote: I would rather play with forked lightning, or take in my hand living
wires with their fiery current, than speak a reckless word against any servant of Christ, or idly repeat the slanderous darts which thousands of Christian are hurling on others. -- A. B. Simpson

No comments: