Monday, December 15, 2008

Humility At It's Best

Humility At Its Best

"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." Romans 12:3
This weekend I had the honor to be a groomsman for a very dear friend. This man has enriched my life in so many ways, and I am thankful to the Lord for his friendship.
My friend's wedding was truly one of those lifetime experiences that I will never forget. His bride's family have made wonderful friendships over the years with a number of prominent Christian leaders.
Friday I had the wonderful privilege of meeting three very high profile Christian leaders: Dr. James Dobson, Dr. Tim LaHaye and Beth Moore. There was one common thread that I observed in all three of these servants of the Lord Jesus Christ -- humility.
I've rubbed shoulders with some "heavy-hitters" during my years of ministry at America's KESWICK and Sandy Cove. I have often joked that I would write a book that would paint the "other side of the story" of certain high profile Christian leaders. Some of the "biggest" names have demonstrated grace and charm in the pulpit or on the concert stage, but "off camera" have been some of the most arrogant and unreasonable people I have ever met.

However, I was so humbled to witness the humility of these three servants. All three have had national, and some world-wide recognition. All three could not have been more gracious and warm, as well as just down right humble.
During the rehearsal, one of the groomsmen was sitting next to Dr. Dobson. Adrian inquired about how Dr. Dobson was doing. I overheard Dr. Dobson say, "I have been pretty busy, as I work for a ministry called Focus on the Family."
Quite honestly, Dr. Dobson could have said, "Yo Adrian -- you DO know who I am? I am THE Dr. James Dobson. I'm the guy that founded Focus on the Family." But that was not the case -- he was so matter-of-fact about being a part of the ministry, not the founder and President.
Paul reminds us that because of the grace of God in our lives, that there is level ground at the foot of the cross. Because we are all on level ground and have experienced God's grace -- something we don't deserve -- we are not to think more highly of ourselves that we should -- we are to be humble -- humble -- and more humble.
If the "big guys "can do it -- so can I. What great role models for us. It was a good lesson for me as President and CEO of America's KESWICK -- I am just a part of the ministry team that serves people from all walks of life who need Jesus. How about you? Are you living a life of humility? I am re-memorizing this verse -- will you join me? Congratulations, Beth and Bernie. Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your very special day! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK
God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 15; Amos 1-3; Revelation 6
Think About This: If I crave hungrily to be used to show the way of liberty to a soul in bondage, instead of caring only that it be delivered; if I nurse my disappointment when I fail, instead of asking that to another the word of release may be given, then I know nothing of Calvary love. Amy Carmichael

No comments: