Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Life of Contentment

A Life of Contentment (Philippians 4:11&12)

A friend and I had lunch this week and talked about contentment. He struggles with wanting what he doesn't have. I had to confess that I sometimes have the same struggle. As I've thought about it through the week, some observations surfaced that may help us learn why we struggle and how we can avoid the struggle.

Paul says it simply in his letter to the Philippians. ". . . for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

How do we get there? The journey to contentment isn't easy for at least three reasons. We live with the residue of the flesh as we follow Jesus. Sometimes that flesh just wants stuff it doesn't need. When we want stuff we don't need and can't get it, discontentment sets in. Unless we bring that old man-the flesh-under control and say no to unneeded desires, we'll not know contentment.

We also live in a world that tries to make us discontent. The ads you see on TV or in a magazine often work to make you want what you don't have. I've noticed that recently with the onslaught of ads for the newest Blackberry mobile phone. No other phone is enough; you have to have the newest and best. Or so our world wants us to believe. Unless we choose to tune out the messages the world sends, we'll see discontentment popping up in various arenas of our lives.

We also have one who is called the enemy of our souls. He specializes in discontent. He lies to us. He tricks us. He uses the power of suggestion. He wants us to want what we don't have, and then he'll try to blame our not having it on God. "If God really loves you, He'll let you have what you want." Can you hear him whispering in your ear?

So, how do we get to contentment? I'm working on three things in my own life. First, I've sensed the Lord pushing me to gratitude for what I do have-and I have far more than I deserve! Gratitude and discontentment can't live in the same house.God's Spirit is also reminding me that I am instructed to resist the devil when we lies to me and tries to create discontentment in my heart and mind. Take another read of James 4:7-10. Choose not to play his deceptive games.

Finally, Paul tells me not to focus on this world. In Romans 12:2 I'm told not to let the world press me into its mold. I don't have to have all the world has to offer, and I don't need all the world has to offer. The positive side of the instruction comes from Colossians 3:2. "Set your mind on things above. . . ." Contentment comes more easily when we focus on that which is eternal.

My friend and I are working on contentment. I pray that many who read this FF will join us in that pursuit. -- Pastor John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 21; Ezekiel 16-17; James 3

Think About This: People may excite in themselves a glow of compassion, not by toasting their feet at the fire, and saying: "Lord, teach me compassion," but by going and seeking an object that requires compassion. -- Henry Ward Beecher

No comments: