Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Perspective

PERSPECTIVE

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes on Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16

I don't know about you, but it just seems like each day the world is getting crazier and crazier. People are beginning to feel the panic of the economic crisis that has been unfolding the past several weeks.

People are jittery about the election. Natural disasters seem to be on the rise. We hear more and more talk about nuclear weapons, and the leader of Iran talking about blowing Israel right off the map.

It becomes very easy for us to be overwhelmed and depressed about what is happening around us until something happens to change our perspective. Yesterday I received a call from one of our seasonal campers with the news that their 30 year old son was killed on Monday night in a tragic motorcycle accident. From what they can determine, their son never made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ. Because of his lifestyle, Jim told me that they have waited for a call like this for many years.

If have to tell you guys, my heart breaks for Jim and Mary right now.None of the crazy things that I listed above seems to matter at a time like this. How does a parent grieve knowing that their son might very well be spending eternity apart from God. It is almost hard to type the word - let alone say it - Hell!

We have lost two loved ones recently as you well know. It has been hard, but I can't imagine how it would be knowing that Lindsay and Pastor Bill were not in heaven with Jesus. Despite the pain, there is comfort in knowing their eternal destiny was secure.

I know that God will somehow bring comfort to Jim and Mary as they walk through this very difficult time in their lives. And who knows, only God does - maybe something took place in young Jim's life prior to the accident that changed his eternal destiny. But perspective is this - if heaven and hell are real, do I really care enough about the people around me - family, friends, co-workers - that I am willing to share Christ with them? You and I may be the only link they have with the gospel.

Tragedies like this tend to help us gain perspective. I am thankful for the reminder today that God loved the world so much that He sent Jesus to die for us. Help me to not miss the opportunities that God places before me to share the gospel with the people who matter most to me. Would you please join me in praying for Jim and Mary.

If you'd like to send them a note, you can respond to this email and I will forward it to them. Thanks, guys. God bless you today. - Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 1; Isaiah 11-13; Ephesians 4

Great Quote: If a man or woman is called of God, it doesn't matter how difficult the circumstances may be. God orchestrates EVERY force at work for His purpose in the end. If you will agree with God's purpose, He will bring not only your conscious level but also the deeper levels of your life, which you yourself cannot reach, into perfect harmony. - Oswald Chambers

No comments: