Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

Special Announcement: You can watch our 111th Anniversary of the Colony of Mercy Banquet tonight and tomorrow on the web. Hear 2007 Colony grad, Bill Pruitt, share his testimony and a message from God's Word. Visit our website at www.americaskeswick.org. The program will air tonight at approximately 7:30 PM and tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

Horseshoes and hand grenades

"You are witnesses, and God also, how devoutly and justly and blamelessly we behaved ourselves among you who believe; as you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children, that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory." 1 Thessalonians 2:10-12 Tom Wheeler is such an outgoing "Pro-fesser" of the love of Jesus Christ. I was privileged to meet up with this former Maryland state trooper last year and found out we have a common friend amongst us, the pastor of my church, Pastor Paul Ort. I found out that Pastor Paul had been mentored by Tom. And although to me these two men are as far apart as can be there is one thing I noticed about them. Meekness.

I tell you this Brothers, meekness is something I struggle with and lately I have had to put it into practice. To have strength under control without causing harm or insult. I've often told my Pastor I wish I had it like he has it. But after meeting Tom, I know where Paul gets it from. And for those who will get to shake Tom's hand, you will find that you are held with a mighty grip but greeted with the compassion of Christ.

This year for family week at Keswick, Tom brought his buddy John. That man was just as gregarious as Tom. And during a game of horseshoes, I noticed this same meekness in John. Now Tom and John went "whippin' on" my partner and me during the game, but it was done in the love of Christ. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. But I was also privileged to spend time in prayer with these Brothers in Christ. There were true tears of joy shed with these men.

This past weekend it was my turn to put meekness into practice. I had been to a sportsmen jamboree with my assistant production manager. He introduced me as his "boss" to all his gunning club buddies but for me I was a friend of Bob's. These meek men treated my son, daughter and myself with a Christ-likeness that you would not expect from a bunch of South Jersey rednecks. But it was there. I believe He was there as well using me to show His face.

Monday morning was different for Bob and me. I praise God for that. The two experience's over the past month has convicted me that no matter how much "I "think "I "have over a situation I do not. I need to walk worthy and in meekness at all times. You see my struggle? Do you share in this with me? Brothers we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Don't you agree? -- Chris Hughes is a frequent writer for Freedom Fighters and is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 16; Proverbs 25-26; 2 Corinthians 9

Great Quote: Lord, reform Thy world, beginning with me. -- Anonymous

No comments: