Friday, July 18, 2008

YOU CAN'T GOD CAN

YOU CAN’T BUT GOD CAN

“The eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.” 2 Chronicles 16:9

Yesterday I had one of those difficult meetings where I had to ask a very dear friend to do something that was completely out of his comfort zone. I could sense his agony over what I had asked him to do, and I was in a very difficult spot as his boss because I knew he needed to take responsibility in this area.

At one point in the conversation he made the statement, “I can’t do this.”
The Holy Spirit prompted me to remind him that his statement was absolutely true! The are so many things WE can’t do, but through CHRIST He enables us to do impossible things, often stretching us out of our comfort zones.

I shared with him that I was a living, breathing testimony of being put in situations where I KNEW I couldn’t do something, but how wonderful my God was in supplying ALL that I needed to accomplish the difficult thing before me. One of the promises I hold onto during times like this is from
1 Thessalonians 5:24: “The One who calls you is faithful and he will do it!” I am SLOWLY learning that I can’t but HE CAN!

I shared with my dear friend several recent situations where I experienced this truth and our conversation ended well. Then God took me at my word!
Funny how He often does that …

Last night I was playing for the Memorial Service for Uncle Pete Kolody.
Everything was going great until I looked out in the audience and saw Dr.
Sam Hsu, an amazingly gifted concert pianist who is on the faculty of Philadelphia Biblical University, and with him was the new chairman of the music department at PBU.

Unlike Robert Hayes, I am an “un-trained” pianist. God gave me a gift that I don’t fully comprehend or understand, and I use it for His glory. Over the years I have struggled when there have been people like Dr. Hsu in the congregation. The “fear factor” peaks and I panic.

Sitting at the keyboard the panic was rising within me, and I found myself saying, “I can’t do this tonight with these guys here. There has to be a way out.” And then it was like the Holy Spirit tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Hmmmmmmm … didn’t something change since you met with so and so today? Hello?” In other words, I got whacked with my own words.

Someone once wrote: The world is watching and waiting to see what God can do through a life that is committed to Him. And not only is the world waiting but God Himself awaits to see who will be the most completely devoted person who has ever lived; willing to be nothing so Christ may be EVERYTHING; fully accepting God’s purposes as his own; receiving Christ’s humility, faith, love, and power, yet never hindering God’s plan but always allowing Him to continue His miraculous work.”

In other words: THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT GOD CAN DO THROUGH YOU, PROVIDING YOU DO NOT SEEK YOUR OWN GLORY.

Let Him wow you today at what YOU can’t do, but what HE can do through you! – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s KESWICK

God’s WORD for YOU: Psalm 20-22; Acts 21:1-17

Think About This: How shall I feel at the judgment, if multitudes of missed opportunities pass before me in full review, and all my excuses prove to be disguises of my cowardice and pride?

William Edwin (W. E.) Sangster

No comments: