Monday, July 28, 2008

He Was Tall and He Wore a Suit

He Was Tall and He Wore a Suit.

"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended; but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14 (KJV, Schofield)

It was my first Sunday in a suit and tie. And it wasn't even my own. I had to get it from Robert Hall. The Colony of Mercy's infamous "Robert Hall". And those brothers out there who know me, I have a strong dislike for the suit and tie. But when you are a Colony Man and you enter the Colony Chapel you wear the suit and tie. It was also my first Sunday in the Colony Chapel and it was the first of many of Pastor Raws' sermons I would to listen to. I mean really listen to.

The aforementioned Scripture verse was the focal point of his sermon that morning. He spoke of himself being a young man who had been a runner. And from what I was seeing, this guy in his suit and tie looked more like a preacher than an athlete. But once I got beyond that little quirk my ears got a tickle from what he was saying about receiving the victory in Jesus. His sermon that morning has never left me. Pastor Raws even stated that the King James version of Philippians 3:13-14 was a more on target but then told us that was just his opinion.

The notes from that sermon would be something I would look back on during my time in the colony. You see I could see Jesus in this man and I wanted that for myself. I wanted to know how to have grace under pressure like this man in a suit and tie did. So I pressed on. But you know I too do not count myself to have apprehended. So I still press on.

I had been at Keswick the night Bill Welte had announced that Pastor Raws went home. I had gone to watch a friend and his wife graduate from the 120 day part of restoration and was blessed seeing every aspect of what the Colony does move forward as well. What a testimony to what Jesus Christ brings us when we answer the call and press on.

I have written about my struggle's with working out here in "Secularland" and how through Christ (not of my own) things seem to work out. I had to realize in my heart that apart from Him I cannot do very much. And it can be slow steppin' at times but when things get tough for me trying to walk this narrow path I reach out for those things that are before, I press toward the mark...for the prize... of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. I pray that I see you along the way. Press on Brothers, press on!! -- Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy

God's WORD for TODAY: Psalm 46-48; Acts 28

Here's a good quote......
"Your spiritual walk is a little too restless and uneasy. Simply trust God. If you come to Him, He will give you all that you need to serve Him. You really need to believe that God keeps His word. The more you trust Him, the more He will be able to give you. If you were lost in an uncrossable desert, bread would fall from heaven for you alone." The Seeking Heart/Fenelon

No comments: