Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Danger of Idolatry

The Danger of Idolatry (Ezekiel 14:1-11)

God's Word confronted me yesterday as I read Ezekiel. This section of Ezekiel's prophecy addresses the idolatry of Israel, but I don't think idolatry ended with the Old Testament. As I read his words, I had to ask myself if their idols that estrange me from God (see vs. 5). As I thought about it, it occurred to me that I cannot think of anything worse than estrangement from God.

Simply defined, an idol is anything that comes between God and me. It is anything that "estranges" me from God. It might be something tangible . . . material. It could be an attitude or some private sin that no one else knows about. Whatever that idol might be, we need to understand that idols are dangerous. When I find myself estranged from God, I am in danger. When your particular idol estranges you from God, you are in danger.

Throughout Scripture, the writers warn us to guard our hearts, to examine our lives, to beware our adversary. Those warnings come because all of us face the idolatry challenge. Not even a single one of us is immune to the allure of idols. They sneak up on us. We usually will not know we are dealing with an idol until it has already arrived. They don't often, if ever, give us warning of their arrival.

Freedom Fighters know, or want to know, the danger of idolatry. They choose to guard their hearts and examine their lives because we know there is nothing worse than estrangement from God. May God help each of us understand the danger of idolatry, whatever form it takes, and avoid it at all cost. -- John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River

God's WORD for YOU: Job 30-31; Acts 13:26-52

Think About This: We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with. But we are 'harmless', and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places. Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross. We are 'sideliners'---coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged. The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own. Oh that God would make us dangerous! -- Jim Elliot

No comments: