Thursday, June 19, 2008

Joyful, Patient, Faithful

JOYFUL, PATIENT, FAITHFUL

Be...fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer (Romans 12:11-12 KJV).

Sometimes we need a big dose of perspective. We complain, moan and groan about stuff that really is so trite and trivial, and forget about how good we really do have it in life. Today's devotional was written by a dear friend who has cerebral palsy. Her communication skills are limited, yet her mind is brilliant. She is confined to a wheel-chair and being cared for by a loving father and mother. Dad has now become the primary care-giver because Mom has cancer and confined to a wheel-chair. And by the way, Dad is most likely in his late 70's! I trust that this devotional from REAL VICTORY FOR LIFE, will encourage you today to be JOYFUL, PATIENT, FAITHFUL.

Above my computer is a Scripture verse beautifully cross-stitched by one of my sisters. It says: BRENDY, BE JOYFUL IN HOPE, PATIENT IN AFFLICTION, FAITHFUL IN PRAYER. What a great reminder of what God wants me to be! Missionary kids like me acquire "aunts" and "uncles" in different places where we have been. I have several (beside my real ones)!

Our family met "Uncle Mel" and "Aunt Lola" at Keswick and they became very special, dear friends, spending many happy days together. In a chat about death with Uncle Mel (who is now with the Lord), he commented that as a Christian our hope is not a "hope-so" hope but a "KNOW-so" hope. I love that and think of that often! "I KNOW whom I have believed." Our hope is in the Lord for today, all year and on through eternity. The blessed hope includes knowing that we will be with Christ forever. What JOY that kind of HOPE and assurance brings.

Now, PATIENT IN AFFLICTION? Easier said than done! There are many kinds of afflictions and the verse doesn't specify what kind, so it must include ALL. Whether it be physical (my main one), a hurt heart, loneliness or economic stress. "...to added affliction He (God) addeth His mercy. For out of His infinite riches in Jesus, He giveth and giveth and giveth again." (How I love that hymn and sing it often.) So why should I ever feel hopeless or impatient?? I need to read Romans 12:12 again!

FAITHFUL IN PRAYER... Wow! I want to be, but that's not easy either. On my 15th birthday the students of the Central American Theological Seminary in Guatemala, where I grew up, crowned me their perpetual queen! What an honor, but what a responsibility to pray for Amy subjects, Max, Gustavo, Jaime, Wilfredo, Noemi, Mima, Hilda, Gonzalo, Delwin (my Hispanic pastor in Dallas), to name a few, serving God in different areas of the world. "God, I do want to be faithful to the task, and I am thankful for those who are faithful in prayer for me, too! May I have a patient heart in affliction to show forth Thy sufficiency, and to be joyful in hope always. Amen." Brendy Platt

God's WORD for YOU: Scripture Reading: Esther 1-2; Acts 5:1-21

Think About This: Man's good opinion of himself makes him think it quite possible to win God's favour by his own religious performances; his bad opinion of God makes him unwilling and afraid to put his case wholly into His hands. The object of the Holy Spirit's work (in convincing of sin) is to alter the man's (sinner's) opinion of himself and so to reduce his estimate of his own character that he should think of himself as God does, and so cease to suppose it possible that he can be justified by any excellency of his own. The Spirit then alters his evil opinion of God, so as to make him see that the God with whom he has to do is really the God of all grace. -- Horatius Bonar

No comments: